• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Deadpool!!

Reaver

Staff
Allow me to answer these questions.

• Because... the power of love.
  • Also because of the power of love.
  • Remember the memory erasing kiss from Superman II? Yeah... kinda creepy in retrospect. And also completely ridiculous.
  • The second one.
  • Because the only security required to protect advanced technology and alien secrets from a depraved maniac who knows the location of your secret fortress and will do anything to get what he wants is a few hundred miles of ice. And also because the plot required it.

Excellent answers, Mindfire. I would have also accepted "because...reasons?". This answer is the only acceptable answer to address all of The Dark Knight Rises plot holes and f**kups.

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team
But it's all good. They got Ben Affleck and Chris Terrio to help them fix it.

I'm crossing my fingers. I'm hoping they don't get too caught up in trying to catch up to and competing with Marvel. DC has it's own style of superhero and Marvel has theirs. If hey just stay true to their heroes and just worry about doing their own thing, and doing it right, they'll be fine. Otherwise they'll get another Green Lantern.

Mindfire

Istar
I'm crossing my fingers. I'm hoping they don't get too caught up in trying to catch up to and competing with Marvel. DC has it's own style of superhero and Marvel has theirs. If hey just stay true to their heroes and just worry about doing their own thing, and doing it right, they'll be fine. Otherwise they'll get another Green Lantern.
True that. But that scene with Superman taking flight for the first time was just so incredibly perfect. If they can nail the spirit of their characters in the rest of the movies like they did in that one scene, they'll do just fine.

Reaver

Staff
Otherwise they'll get another Green Lantern.

And another Dark Knight Rises, Batman Forever, Batman and Robin, Superman Returns, Superman III and Superman IV: The Quest for Holy Shit! They're Raping Superman! Dear God in Heaven! Someone Needs To Do Something!

Back to Deadpool ...
Q: Is there a limit to how long you are willing to follow an anti-hero?

My family was discussing House of Cards and I decided I was kind of over it- don't feel the need to watch the new season because I've lost interest w Frank Underwood.

The same thing w Dexter- watched all but the last 1/2 of the last season b/c by then I got kind of bored w it (even though crazy stuff was happening I just didn't feel compelled to invest another 6 hrs or whatever I had left).

I watch Blacklist faithfully but Red's not the only MC so I think that might be different.

So I'm wondering- with anti-heroes is there a tolerance threshold? If so, are we (the audience & consumer) expected to invest in secondary characters long enough for the anti-hero to regain our attention?

Is it that there's a greater need for complex subplots in anti-hero stories or do writers just lose touch with balancing the MC's qualities (making [him] too much of a jerk and not humorous or quirky enough)?

I guess I'm just having a hard time imagining Deadpool as a (tv) series while I can easily imagine it as a movie (with no more than 2 sequels). Any thoughts?

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team
And another Dark Knight Rises, Batman Forever, Batman and Robin, Superman Returns, Superman III and Superman IV: The Quest for Holy Shit! They're Raping Superman! Dear God in Heaven! Someone Needs To Do Something!

I'm sorry sir, I don't believe I'm familiar with any of those films after Dark Knight Rises. Are you sure they even exist? I don't think they do. Not at all.... never existed... at all. Never :D

Back to Deadpool ...

I guess it depends on the quality of the writing and how often they tread over the same ground. Also I think the latter is a limiting factor on how long anything can go on for. I mean generally speaking there's a limit to the amount of good stories you can write without a character changing in significant ways. We see it a lot on episodic TV. Shows go stagnant because they don't advance things, advance them too slowly, or just run out of places to go with the story.

I think that happened with House, but it luckily ended before it fell too far from grace.

But who knows how long something can go on for as long as the writing is good and they keep finding new territory to explore. Some shows just automatically lend themselves to both theses things. Not an anti-hero, but for example Doctor Who has a built in mechanism in the Doctor's regeneration that lets the show refresh itself every few years. Same with James Bond.

As for Dexter, by not watching to the end, you deprived yourself of a large glass of hatorade. You know how a bad ending can spoil a good book? That's exactly what happened with Dexter. It must be one of the worst endings to a series ever.

Reaver

Staff
Back to Deadpool ...

My family was discussing House of Cards and I decided I was kind of over it- don't feel the need to watch the new season because I've lost interest w Frank Underwood.

The same thing w Dexter- watched all but the last 1/2 of the last season b/c by then I got kind of bored w it (even though crazy stuff was happening I just didn't feel compelled to invest another 6 hrs or whatever I had left).

I watch Blacklist faithfully but Red's not the only MC so I think that might be different.

So I'm wondering- with anti-heroes is there a tolerance threshold? If so, are we (the audience & consumer) expected to invest in secondary characters long enough for the anti-hero to regain our attention?

Is it that there's a greater need for complex subplots in anti-hero stories or do writers just lose touch with balancing the MC's qualities (making [him] too much of a jerk and not humorous or quirky enough)?

I guess I'm just having a hard time imagining Deadpool as a (tv) series while I can easily imagine it as a movie (with no more than 2 sequels). Any thoughts?

Excellent questions!

Personally, I'm a fan of anti-heroes. Deadpool, The Punisher, The Comedian, Rorschach, Dr. Manhattan (Hell, basically all The Watchmen). I liked Dexter a lot and I agree with Penpilot that the ending sucked. Very anti-climatic.

Haven't really watched House of Cards, so my opinion is invalid regarding that. Never watched Blacklist although I like James Spader.

Deadpool wouldn't make a good TV show. His antics would get stale too quickly. Three movies would be just right (with the same director and writers though).

I'm sorry sir, I don't believe I'm familiar with any of those films after Dark Knight Rises. Are you sure they even exist? I don't think they do. Not at all.... never existed... at all. Never :D

Had I'd been born 30 years later, I'd have been spared the mind raping of those films but still would've suffered the Star Wars Prequels. SMH

Last edited: