• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Dealing with Rejections?

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
So far, my worst rejections are the terse ones. "Your work is not suitable for our publication" or a hundred variations thereon. Better are the ones who nice: "This is an interesting piece, but we don't have a place for it, best of luck, etc etc." I was lucky enough to get an acceptance after only a few rejections, so I have a bit of flotsam to cling to in the wide sea of rejection.

Keep paddlin'

Addison

Auror
Take a better look at the rejection letters. In my experience there are three kinds of rejection letters:

1: The Writing Nazi; this is the letter where the editor, publisher or agent is very straightforward with their rejection. "No deal for you! SLAP These rejections are a sign of no return, for the agent. It doesn't mean that your idea or writing isn't good. It just means they don't want it.

2: Dear Jane/John: Anyone in a relationship knows what these are in a 'romantic' sense. These are usually letters of ending relationships. And they appear in rejection letters. They start sincere but then reveal the truth, "Dear Mr. Smith, we appreciate your submision and enjoyed reading your idea. But we don't want it. It's not what we're looking for. Bye!" Again, rejection letters have nothing to do with you as a writer or your work.

3: Ra-ra Rejction: These are the best rejections because their support and good comments ease the pain of the rejection. These letters will often say that you have a great idea and, if you sent sample pages, that you have talent. After you read "Not what we're looking for at this time" these letters will often hint at a publisher, editor or agency or something/one who is looking for your type of work. If you don't see this line these letters will instead wish you good luck.

Again, rejection letters are not an attack on you as a writer or your writing. They're just faces saying you picked the wrong person or publisher. You just need to do your research both into who you're sending it to and how you're presenting your idea in the query.