• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Deviating From The Outline

Roc

Troubadour
I'm almost to the middle of my story, and it has gotten to the point where I hardly use my outline anymore because I deviate so much. I find that as I write, I discover better ways to approach a conflict or more interesting routes my characters can take, and use those over what my outline says.

Is this normal? Does it happen to anyone else?

Should I ignore these and just stick to my outline?

Thanks guys!

Mara Edgerton

Troubadour
Don't worry; it's not unusual! Some people are hardcore outliners who plot best in outline form; some are pantsers who eschew outlines altogether and write on the fly; but many are somewhere in between, outlining a bit and pantsing a bit. Whatever gets you the strongest story and the most compelling characters is the best way for you. :)

Trick

Auror
Definitely normal for me. I often forget the outline for several chapters and then go back to see that what I wrote was a better arc anyway. I try to get events in that I feel crucial but if something no longer works I ignore it until editing time comes around. If it seems necessary after that, then I make the changes. Sometimes writing is too free flowing to use the outline like a manual.

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
I've had stories that didn't make it past [passed?] the first page before the outline needed rewriting...

Trick

Auror
I've had stories that didn't make it past [passed?] the first page before the outline needed rewriting...

Past is correct; it's being used for location ie. 'further than.' 'Passed' is a past tense verb.

'I passed a store seven years past' not 'I past a store seven years passed.'

that's a lot of past/passed, sorry.

Last edited:

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
We write such detailed outlines that I prefer to call it pre-writing - and still we deviate, often dramatically. It's perfectly natural. A story is a living thing that will grow and thrive and exert its own will on the world. Let it. As long as it does not turn into something monstrous and out of control, just enjoy the ride. Pruning is for editing. Follow the wild road and see the wondrous places it leads you.

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
Past is correct; it's being used for location ie. 'further than.' 'Passed' is a past tense verb.
'I passed a store seven years past' not 'I past a store seven years passed.'
that's a lot of past/passed, sorry.
And now I know :)

Butterfly

Auror
I think deviation from your outline is quite a good thing to happen. It means your characters are compelling enough to drive the story forward by themselves. They will do whatever they want to, on occasion...

Spider

Sage
Always happens to me. That's why if I decide to make an outline, I do it while I'm writing. I usually take it one step at a time, only planning the next scene rather than every single future scene (but keeping the general plot and ideas in mind). Just go with the flow :)

C Hollis

Troubadour
Sometimes I feel as though my outline is for the sole purpose of entertaining my characters. They thumb their noses at it, stomp on it, and kick it around. Then there are the times they delete points and add their own.

I write at their whim.

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team
Outlines are like the Pirate Code; it's more of a guideline. Don't be a slave to the outline. An outline helps keep you in touch of what you're goals are, so you don't go wandering too far off the trail. BUT there's nothing wrong with finding a new trail and following that instead. With an outline you can now compare the new trail with the old and decide which is better and how following the new trail will affect the journey. You might not want to follow the new trail because it takes you too far away from where you want the story to go.

Jabrosky

Banned
After reflecting on my creative process and personal psychology, I've decided that I lie on the outlining side of the writer's spectrum. I definitely need to know where I'm going in order to get anything written. However, I agree that outlines should be flexible in case new ideas bite me during the writing process.

Trick

Auror
Actually, after thinking about it again, I realize that by biggest deviation is in timeline. I'll organize events in my outline, then write and write. Once I go back, I see I've done things out of the original order. Instead of changing my WIP i just reorganize the outline. Maybe I should save an original outline and then compare at the close of a project with the edited one. Might offer insight for future work.

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
I find that deviating from outlines has caused my novels to spiral out of control and become like tangled fishing wire. Especially if I have multiple POVs. So I've come to the conclusion that I need to have outlines.

I think some writers can deal with deviating from outlines or even write brilliant novels without any planning whatsoever. I'm not one of them.

Helen

Inkling
I'm almost to the middle of my story, and it has gotten to the point where I hardly use my outline anymore because I deviate so much. I find that as I write, I discover better ways to approach a conflict or more interesting routes my characters can take, and use those over what my outline says.

Is this normal? Does it happen to anyone else?

Should I ignore these and just stick to my outline?

Thanks guys!

I think it's normal.

To me it all makes sense if you give the outline context, say around theme.

The outline will tell you how you're going to deliver the message, the purpose of each scene / character / etc with regard to it.

When you naturally deviate, you may be inspired and you don't want to lose what's coming out. Or it maybe that your mind is just jumping around for any number of reasons.

Ultimately, what's coming out, will have to be placed in context with the message you're delivering.

If it's helpful, you rejig the outline. If not, you stick to the outline.

I've found that if I never deviate from the outline, my stories tend to be kind of boring. As such, I begin with very general outlines, then add to them as I create more character interactions. These additions determine how the outline changes. (For instance, if a character repeatedly puts others' requests ahead of her own interests, I'll add to my outline that she has trouble saying "no." If a point in the outline involves her resisting someone else's demands, I'll broadly outline what would happen if she gave in, and decide if that plot is more interesting.)