• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Different names

In one of my works I have a character who in the first three chapters has three different names, The Assassin, Theydrin, and Hol'jun. The reason he goes by these names is that he is an assassin and is the best one there is. He has never failed a mission. As such he wants to keep his name and identity hidden from the whole world. The reader first sees the Assassin as just that. To leave the castle he disguises himself as a servant that many others know as Theydrin. The third name change occurs as he goes undercover to get some of his items smuggled from his current place of residence to a kingdom that is part of the opposing faction of kingdoms.

I ask is this name change too confusing for readers or does it work so long as I make it very clear that the Assassin, Theydrin, and Hol'jun are all the same.

I will post such clarification if you want.

T.Allen.Smith

Staff
First question:

What's the POV?

If we're close in the assassin's head then it shouldn't be an issue because we will know what he knows, including him being disguised and referred to differently by varying people.

I would say that we are in the Assassins POV and real close to his head. We often read about his thoughts during the various scenes, like his disgust for the prince or his bone deep hatred of a religious leader. Also, I make a very concerted effort to show the changes from Assassin, to Theydrin, then to Hol'jun. Even if it is only a mention of him coming out of his small house dressed as Hol'jun rather than Theydrin or the Assassin.

T.Allen.Smith

Staff
In that case, how those changes will affect readers, will depend on how well it's written. It can certainly be done so that the switches in identity are not jarring. You'll just have to be clever about it so it doesn't come off as repetitive every time the MC changes identities.

One question is whether something's a recurring role or a temporary one; when he's in the latter he should mostly use his real name (the one in his head, not always his birth name), unless he's really strict about thinking exactly like a persona while he's in it. An occasional "Over here, Theydrin!" "Yes milord," said the Assassin locks it down.

If you want to do more with this, take a look at Brent Weeks' Night Angel books. The MC's an assassin who lives a double life or two (in-joke there for some of us), and there's a Moment when he changes his inner name from one thing to another.