• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Different Points of View To write in?

Hi all,
When im writing i usually tend to write in the first or third person view. I have written one small novel where i had a character recite a story about previous events, But i am a fairly amateur writer so i would relly appreciate any different points of view to write from that some more experienced members may have found usefull or intriguing. Im mainly just wanting to broaden my horizons.

Thanks all any advice is greatly appreciated.

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team
Actually first and third are what most published novels are written in. There are a few novels written in second person.

Now, if what you mean by different points of view is the type of person the story is told through, there are tons of different points of view stories have been told from.

Ray Bradbury wrote a story where the main pov character was a house. http://www.elizabethskadden.com/files/therewillcomesoftrainsbradbury.pdf

E.O. Wilson wrote a story from the pov of a ant colony
E. O. Wilson: Trailhead : The New Yorker

Interesting, Thanks for the links, I shall be sure to check them out, However I was meaning first and third person. I was just wondering if there were any more i should know about.
I think il stick to first or third though as its the easiest, and maybe advance as my skill gets better.
Thanks for the links:)

Erica

Minstrel
don't forget omniscient. I personally hate it, but some people really thrive on it.

Third person can be either limited or omniscient or objective third (there are other terms for these that are sometimes used in writing books). There are different styles or approaches to each of these different styles of third person. One of the most common problems I see in writers who are just starting out (and yes, I did the same thing myself) is to write scenes that are sort of unholy hybrids between omniscient and limited third. This usually results in head hopping and other focus issues.

I've seen a style of first person narrative that seems almost omniscient as well--where the story is narrated in first person, and the narrator is "in" the story, but unlike a normal first person narrator, he/she has access to information that none of the characters have and knows everyone's thoughts and feelings. I recall Vonnegut's Galapagos took this approach with its ghost narrator that knew everything. I suppose you could have omniscient second as well.

But usually, omniscient is a type of third person narrative.

There aren't a ton of novels written in second person, but there are a few here and there. Usually they're of a more literary bent. One example is Half Awake in Frog Pajamas by Tom Robbins.

Addison

Auror
Let's not forget "The Great Gatsby", the story of Jay Gatsby (the MC) told from the eyes of Tim Conway, a side character.

I remember one writing exercise where I had to tell a story from the eyes of a keyboard. So the choices for narrative perspective are endless.

TWErvin2

Auror
A rarely used POV is 2nd Person POV. It's the structure using 'you' as in:

You open the door and see the fountain spewing blood. The flow washes past your boots and down the steps.

It is a difficult POV to pull off. As an editor for a small magazine/ezine for a number of years, we only accepted two pieces, both by the same author.

The most common use of this POV in fantasy are adventure type books where the reader makes a decision, then is directed to a certain page, finds out what happens and then makes another decision (ie. run or negotiate or fight, try the door or the stairs, etc.)

Yeah that's exactly what sprung to mind when you mentioned the type of POV.
It sounds as if it would be very hard to pull of in a full story.
Thanks for the responses everyone

Addison

Auror
The only time I've enjoyed a story in 2nd Pov is the "Make Your Own Adventure" series. I tried a short story in 2nd person before. My teacher gave mixed reviews. :p