• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Difficulties with Magicbuilding

Esudeath

Dreamer
My culture is a big part of my life and others around me. I'm always paying attention to them amd how they drivr people. So for the most part its gotta be culture, its everywhere and kind of hard to pin down but its how I tell each of my countries apart from one another.

The hard part is ripple effect of adding elements to the world. If I can do this, that happens.

One of many stories I want to do is a Pokemon style world with monster summons. But once you decide that is a thing... like the whole world is warped around it.

Rkcapps

Sage
Snowpoint, have you read Jim Butcher's Furies of Calderon? That's based on a mixture of Pokemon and Rome. He wrote it to prove a newer writer wrong and it's a bestselling series.

robinlxs

Dreamer
My MMC is an exception to the rules, so I wrote a lot of my rules around him, based on physical limitations like having go through magic puberty, and it’s toxic, so repeated use is ill advised etc.
I have several magic systems, but that one is the one I have deal with first.

The hard part is ripple effect of adding elements to the world. If I can do this, that happens.

One of many stories I want to do is a Pokemon style world with monster summons. But once you decide that is a thing... like the whole world is warped around it.
If it's as common as in Pokemon, then most definitely. What percentage of the population can capture and summon the monsters? Is this only a single country in the world? Is there something else that would set them back culturally, technologically, or psychologically?