• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Digital Book World

I should have posted this yesterday, but Digital Book World is going on now, and it's worth following the #DBW15 hashtag to listen. I hear a lot of rehashing, a lot of great solutions without practical applications, and the guy from Amazon played the interviewers like a cello, but it's nonetheless interesting as both a writer and an editor.

BTW, data scientist Hilary Mason’s presentation on data use has been, if Twitter is any judge, the most well-regarded so far. O’Reilly has her book DATA DRIVEN on their site for free. You can also get it in mobi/epub/pdf here: Data Driven: Creating a Data Culture.

The most interesting fact she shared: People share material that reinforces their public persona (such articles about how terrible for America the Kardashian game is), but they read to feed their private persona (such as articles on how to win the Kardashian game). That is, the book you want to have seen on your desk isn’t necessarily the one you read at lunch with your door closed.

The fact from the speech that will endure, though, is: Although everyone thinks cat pictures dominate the internet, people actually share much more dog content.

After her, Judith Carr from Atria gave an interesting talk on how the work with "indies" that is self-pubd authors, but I don't have any links or summaries of that.

MAndreas

Troubadour
Thanks for posting this- I totally missed it although a speaker we had mentioned parts of it- aka she said the Amazon guy pretty much was wearing a target every time he opened his mouth (and not without good reason in some cases ;))