• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Do large breasts interfere with use of a two-handed sword?

I've just seen the latest Hobbit film, and that female elf seemed to be able to kill a lot of orcs with her sword. I can't remember, did she use both hands or not? Perhaps, this isn't a problem for elves. :D

Not sure if that is something to compare to. I did see the latest Hobbit movie, and orcs fall down and die if they get touched by a shield - although to be fair, there could be magic shields that Tolkien forgot to mention. Oh wait... Hollywood... right.

I don't think Tolkien elves can be used as a reference, they're just too overpowered. They're better at EVERYTHING and they're super long lived. Boohoo that they can't have a lot of kids. I can't remember if Legolas does it int he book as well, but I remember he walks over snow in the movie, without making indentations. I mean come on.

end of rant

yea my one problem with 5 armies was that an untrained, unarmored fisherman with a rusty sword could drop a larger, well-trained, well-armored orc by slapping his chest plate with the side of his blade.

I think it was Malik who pointed out that great swords weren't use for slashing and piercing so much as they were for destroying one's armor and puliverizing the body within.

As to changing body shapes, I would add, We simply eat more now. That's why the rich were called fat cats and depicted as obese. They could afford food.

Perhaps, but it wouldn't necessarily be a much bigger issue than for many male fantasy heroes who often aren't described as particularly large. There probably isn't a massive weight difference between the typical skinny teenage boy hero and say a 160 lb female battle tank, which isn't overly huge.

Hmmm, reminds me of the fight between Paris and Menelaus in 'Troy'. A slim, inexperienced youth against a battle hardened, heavier, stronger man. Menelaus bashed Paris into submission - he didn't even bother to use his shield. I thought it was a well shot scene.

yea my one problem with 5 armies was that an untrained, unarmored fisherman with a rusty sword could drop a larger, well-trained, well-armored orc by slapping his chest plate with the side of his blade.

Peter Jackson is a bit hit and miss (sorry the pun) with his action. I loved his scenes with the cave troll in Fellowship of the Ring, they were just fantastic. But having horses pushing over dozens of brutishly strong orcs, and Eowen cutting the tendons of a massive Mumakil, one sword in each hand....