• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Do you think this is a good or bad idea?

There are quite a few projects I am working on and I know I am a very slow writer. I was thinking about taking some time to work on one project and then work on another and get back to the first later to get fresh ideas. Since I am such a slow writer I was thinking of waiting to try and publish any of my finished or nearly finished novels until I have a few finished or close to completion. This way I wouldn't feel so much pressure to completely finish one novel and then have to start a new one because I'm afraid it would just take so long.

So for example let's say I have novels A B and C. A is almost fished and so is B and C is ready. I would try to get C published and when it does I could start working on novel D and finish up A and B without too much pressure for time because most of it is already done.

(if this belongs in publishing please feel free to move it)

Last edited:

BWFoster78

Myth Weaver
Tough call because there are so many variables. It seems like your determining factor is not maximizing revenue so much as providing yourself with motivation. Probably only you can truly answer what motivates you more.

work on another and get back to the first later to get fresh ideas.

It would also help to get an idea of your process. For example, the following is how I wish to proceed, for the most part, in the future.

Stage 1 - Rough draft
Stage 2 - Readable draft
Stage 3 - Send out for beta reading
Stage 4 - Pick up beta reader comments
Stage 5 - Let the novel percolate for 8 weeks while thinking about it as little as possible.
Stage 6 - Read the novel cover to cover to spot pacing and story issues.
Stage 7 - Make final edits.
Stage 8 - Send to editor
Stage 9 - Pick up editor comments
Stage 10 - Publish!

Xaysai

Inkling
I'm answering this from a place of "attention span".

I read like you write (3-4 books all going at once), because sometimes I need a break from a story, or maybe I get bored with a POV or chapter, and I move to something else for a bit and come back to it later with a more refreshed perspective.

I'm not really in a place to offer much writing advice, but I would think you might want to work on the projects which you are currently passionate about regardless of where they are in the overall scheme of completion or publishing to ensure you put out the best possible product.

Gurkhal

Auror
To me is sounds like a plan, and I'm kind of you like you a slow writer. And moving between projects should work very well to keep yourself motivated and interested in what's going on.

Like I said the main reason for doing this is so that I don't feel pressured to write very fast. My schedule is busy enough as it is. So let's say I have two novels done that I haven't Submitted yet and I'm working on a new one. I won't feel like I have to write with all haste. I can take my time and when I feel like it I can submit an already finished novel to give me plenty of time to get that new one finished. So by the time I finish the new one my readers will be ready for another read.

I guess you can say I'll have novels stockpiled up so when I'm ready for publishing I can work on new novels and have other ones I wish to get published ready.