• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Does any know what this is called?

Okay, so I looked online and even asked a few people, but no one seems to know.
The two little plastic button thingys that would disconnect a call when pressed on the old rotary phones, what is that thing called? I know the uprights were called the cradle, but what about the plastic button thing?

https://www.google.com/search?q=rot...hip.com%2Fold-rotary-phone-dial.html;1300;965

I know back when phones were still connected to the wall when I was a kid we'd say "the phone was off the hook." So is that what the button thing is called?

Hi,

Actually it's a hook switch. (They aren't two buttons they're two sides of the same button.) When the receivers in the cradle the hook switch is in and when the receiver's lifted the hook switch is activated and you hear a dial tone.

Cheers, Greg.

Hi,

Actually it's a hook switch. (They aren't two buttons they're two sides of the same button.) When the receivers in the cradle the hook switch is in and when the receiver's lifted the hook switch is activated and you hear a dial tone.

Cheers, Greg.

Ah, that makes sense, I always wondered why we said the phone was off the hook...
You rock!

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
I've heard them called the nipples in an informal setting [as in "press the nipples" to curt someone off] and the receiver. I can remember be told to hold down the receiver [to stop the dialling tone] when we sorted out what number to call. Neither is accurate but they are terms I've heard used.