• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Does anyone write Christmas fantasy stories?

Ned Marcus

Maester
Does anyone write Christmas/Yule/Easter/other holiday based fantasy stories? I've thought about it for years but never really found the inspiration, although I've begun a couple of Yule/winter holiday stories.

If you do, what inspires you? What sort of holiday stories do you write?

I understand that Christmas can't be directly transferred into many fantasy worlds, but it could be used in contemporary fantasy, or altered to fit into other worlds. I'm thinking of stories about winter solstice celebrations for example.

Any thoughts?

Insolent Lad

Maester
Not specific Christmas stories, but the Yule or Christmas has shown up rather frequently in my novels, fantasy and otherwise. Festivals of any sort are a good way to get characters together to interact. And being snowed in during the coldest season forces them to! A projected novel (it may be a while before it gets serious attention) just might feature an appearance from Santa--maybe as an avatar, so to speak, of Odin. Yeah, that's a bit Gaiman-ish, isn't it? Lots to work out there yet.

I'm currently piddling at a novel to be set over the Christmas holidays, but that's a mainstream and will be under a pen name so I have no real reason to mention it here.

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
well, it's not a 'Christmas Story,' but 'Empire: Capital' does take place right before and during the winter solstice, which is a major holiday - so major it is one of four days not counted as part of any month. The big deal is that the menfolk try to stay awake through the previous night (and usually fail) with a big midday feast afterward.

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
If the old gypsy is correct, I wrote A Christmas Carol in a previous life... Of course, she also said I was once Cleopatra, but I'm pretty damned sure I was NEVER that good looking.

Solusandra

Troubadour
Of course, she also said I was once Cleopatra, but I'm pretty damned sure I was NEVER that good looking.
paintings and coinage of the time say cleopatra wasn't particularly pretty. Her family had been inbred for 6 or 7 generations, and she was noted to have a large nose and bad teeth, among other things. Egyptian records say she was clever and a monster at political manuvering, roman records say she was a bimbo who seduced one of their generals.

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
Maybe I should've said I've never been so propagandized.

I've never seen an ancient coin minted with an attractive face. heh heh.

paintings and coinage of the time say cleopatra wasn't particularly pretty. Her family had been inbred for 6 or 7 generations, and she was noted to have a large nose and bad teeth, among other things. Egyptian records say she was clever and a monster at political manuvering, roman records say she was a bimbo who seduced one of their generals.