• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Does gaming (RPGs) make one a good writer?

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
Sidekick, I've seen your work, and I think you should consider trying out a web comic.
I'm seriously considering this advice.

My barbarian girl (from Dragon Egg) is fun to draw, and I had originally drawn her as part of an all-female party of four. A girl I used to play Monster Hunter with created fan art for these characters on her DeviantArt page (on Christmas!), so I already know that these would be the stars of my web comic—that is, if I can come up with art that works for both comedy and action.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
I'm seriously considering this advice.

Whatever you do, I'd take it slow, read a few of the good web comics out there, take your time to figure out what you want to do, sketch out several installments at once before you commit to anything. Keep the art at a level you can create quickly.

People were suggesting webcomics earlier on this thread, but the only one I follow is Order of the Stick, which I think is amazing, both for the humor and the storytelling. Another you might look at is Girl Genius.

You have a strong talent with your art, Mr. Legendary, and you should put it to good use. Not only that, but I've seen your writing, and I think it would translate well to a webcomic. I think you can figure out how to do it, and I think you'd have an easier time finding an audience for it.

Regrix

Dreamer
As a gamer for 32 years, I'd say that gaming (table top/play by post) gaming will help your writing. Not so much for things like WoW or D&D Online. I suppose there is some aspects of the character creation process but it's all too programmed for my thinking to be too beneficial.

It helps even more to actually be the GM/DM of the situation, there in you're creating the story and the NPCs and so on which gets really creative and can inspire a lot of interesting material. I'm in the process of creating my own game world and am finding it a fantastic challenge but an amusing one.

I'd suggest tabletop or Play by Post to help with the writing though.

Earthright

Acolyte
I believe gaming will give you more ideas about world building and character development than a book would, but that's just me. However, just because you play video games does not mean you will be a good writer. For that you truly need to read and get a feel for how other authors write.

teacup

Auror
I wouldn't say it's necessary but it can help. For example I'm writing a novel at the moment and just thinking of the world of final fantasy IX helped and inspired me. However now my novel's moved away from that and become it's own world without much similarities with ffIX, but it did definitely start me off well.