• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Dragon egg size

rubixxcube

Depends on the texture of the egg. If the egg is scaly and rough or somehow irregular compared to "normal" eggs, probably small enough to not tear up the dragons inside when they lay it. If it's smooth and normal egg shaped, then around, probably a tiny bit bigger, then the size of the dragons, uh, parts. Universally, I believe most people agree on the bigger the dragon the bigger the egg, so the size of the dragon is also quite important to either the size, or perhaps the amount. Researching creatures that DO lay eggs, depending on what types your dragons are most similar to, will probably help with overall details. For instance, I imagine a dragon that lays eggs like a fish will have very different sizes then more typical dragon eggs.

What scientists have said about the eggs of a dinosaur is that they were about the size of a chicken's egg. No matter how large the animal will grow to its size. Is not determined by its size when fully grown. Create it any size you wish for it to be? You are the creator, you are the god in your story. Think about it this way, dragon's will leave their eggs alone, for they themselves have to feed themselves. It is not going to be hatched on the day it is laid. They will have to hide the eggs. when they lay it won't they. Safety with the egg is what they will have to protect the egg from being found by the animals which eat the eggs.

What scientists have said about the eggs of a dinosaur is that they were about the size of a chicken's egg. No matter how large the animal will grow to its size. Is not determined by its size when fully grown. Create it any size you wish for it to be? You are the creator, you are the god in your story. Think about it this way, dragon's will leave their eggs alone, for they themselves have to feed themselves. It is not going to be hatched on the day it is laid. They will have to hide the eggs. when they lay it won't they. Safety with the egg is what they will have to protect the egg from being found by the animals which eat the eggs.
Oh yes, they COULD be star-shaped and levitate, you're right about creators being in charge. This is more of a "that truth aside, what could they reasonably look like" thread.

On that note, I'm no paleontologist but I'm pretty sure lots of fossilized dino eggs have been discovered and they very greatly in size. While it seems like "about the size of a chickens egg" covers anything nowadays from a lizard about the size of a chicken to Nile crocodiles, for dinosaurs there was alot more variety