• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Dragon weapons

rktho

Troubadour
My book is about a dragon civilization. I’m trying to come up with weapons they might use. (They have opposable thumbs, for reference.)

I need this especially because my Deconstructed McGuffin is a set of five weapons. They used to be swords, but now I feel like I need something different. Something that can be wielded individually or together.

But I’d also like just general ideas for different weapons unrelated to my McGuffin, to further build my world.

My dragons have a gigantic chest cavity which functions as lungs, where raw materials are burned and energy released from this is passed along spines on their back made of a very hard, light substance called dragonsilver. This substance is often taken from dragon skeletons and burned down in forges to make lethal weapons called Jhedata, which can be very large as a result.

Yes this is basically an excuse for me to ignore inertia, and make some seriously awesome-looking swords.

rktho

Troubadour
My dragons have a gigantic chest cavity which functions as lungs, where raw materials are burned and energy released from this is passed along spines on their back made of a very hard, light substance called dragonsilver. This substance is often taken from dragon skeletons and burned down in forges to make lethal weapons called Jhedata, which can be very large as a result.

Yes this is basically an excuse for me to ignore inertia, and make some seriously awesome-looking swords.
That’s a cool concept! I wouldn’t want to steal it from you. ;)

rktho

Troubadour
On second thought, I think perhaps the weapons could be different. The five weapons represent power: physical, mental, magical, natural, and influential. I think they should be able to be worn all at once. I have some ideas already; one could be a fanged helmet like DragonOfTheAerie suggested; that could stand for mental power. Another could be a ring, for influence. A sword could be physical and a set of talons natural. And lastly, for magic, perhaps a breastplate or something.

rktho

Troubadour
You should have it so that the weapons form around the dragon to their preference, maybe they are found in some gelatinous form, and when worn transform into a weapon which fits the fighting style of the dragon in question?
I’m not sure about changing the type of weapon, but it would certainly have to morph to accommodate different species. Although I’m not sure how a quadruped would wield a sword, so I’ll have to figure that out for one of my species.