• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Dreams where you can fly

D

Deleted member 6067

You have a very nice avatar, I love it! The name Syreth is very beautiful by the way, is that your author name or perhaps a character from one of your stories?
Both, actually. I have a knack for characters who are themselves the storytellers. As for the avatar, it was made by my good friend Ryuuki. Thank you for the warm welcome.

Just how high did you fly above the ground? Were there towns, cities, open fields or perhaps mountains below or around you? Did you encounter challenges like the infamous power lines or something like that?
Quite high, actually. The midday/pillow flight was several hundred feet above the ground. I remember starting out from a small village built around a single road that lead and curled about through flat, barren grasslands reminiscent of a 90s 3D video game. And there were... something. Not much a series of power lines as much as gigantic obelisks tied together with a cable, I would say. The broom flight at night was somehow much more detailed, but I also flew a lot lower that time. Dreams tend to be weird and inconsistent like that.

Dina

Dreamer
I am sad to say that I have never dreamed of flying, although it's always been a dream of mine. (Ha, see what I did there?) When I was younger, I would binge YouTube videos about birds and the art of flight, hoping my waking fascination would bleed into my dreams. No such luck. Perhaps one day in the future, though!

It's odd, I can almost always fly in dreams, even when it's not a lucid dream, or when the dream has almost nothing to do with flight. I just flap my arms, and I start to float off of the ground.

I can only think of two dreams where I did it and it was mentioned out loud by anyone. In one specific dream, it was explained that I could do it because I was a vampire. Another time I had a dream where I was at school and my classmates were building rocket ships, and I was trying to explain to my teacher that I can fly, so I don't need to build a rocket ship.

Normally though it's never addressed in the dream. None of the dream characters explain it to me or point it out as weird. I had a dream once where my teacher started making fun of me in a Target store, and I inexplicably started flapping my arms and flying away while I was crying. Everyone treated it as perfectly normal. Another time I had a dream I was in a gas station while on a road trip, and at one point when I had to get something off a high shelf, I just flew up and grabbed it off. No confused reactions from the other shoppers.

Ironically, one time I had a dream (unrelated to flying, it had to do with meeting one of my biggest inspirations), and while I was in a kitchen, I said something along the lines of "Wait a minute... I'm dreaming! I can fly!". I threw myself forwards, trying to fly, and crashed into a table. I woke up halfway through the impact. It must've startled me into waking up. Maybe I wasn't supposed to do a takeoff jump lmao.

Yora

Maester
For a while I had dreams where I could hover. It's really easy. Just jump forward and keep raising your feet to half a meter above the ground. You can get a good hundred meters like that.

I used to very frequently have flying dreams although never me flying by myself. It was always in a very small ramshackle Da Vinci type craft (which often struggled to get out from under telegraph lines), or I'd be a passenger in a gigantic plane, and then somehow find myself up front as the pilot. In both cases the plane would stay quite low and move very slowly.

I also used to have some very scary dreams that were kinda like flying but more like a swing out of control that went way too high.

Don't seem to have flying dreams any more - for some reason my dreams are always intensely frustrating, which possibly means I've lost my creativity and hate my job.

Mia

Troubadour
i dream of flying quite often and it is always in a similar manner. i ran and hop and jump higher and higher until i am flying. i dont need to flap my wings or anything. all is done with sheer will. i want to go higher or lower, left or right, i just need to think it for it to happen.

PunchHappy

I came here to talk about a thing that has been happening in my dreams ever since I could remember my dreams. So, ever so often I'll have a dream where something is chasing me and to excape I'll start flapping my arms and flying. Although, I'm never able to fly far or high enough no matter how hard I flap to get away. Or, I'll start flying for fun randomly in the dream and out of nowhere something will be waiting for me on the ground and the fear of falling and hitting the ground is amplified by the threat that is stopping me from slowly and safely getting to the ground. Therefore, it becomes a waiting game where the dream is just me trying my hardest to fly as long as I can. Also, I cannot simply fly to another location to get away the threat will be waiting on the ground wherever I fly.

Rapturez2002

Acolyte
In dreams where i fly, my biggest fear is not being able to stop. Usually either going up or from moving forward to fast. usually by mid dream i get better control but something else starts to happen. (go to slow or loss my power altogether)

When thinking about flying for fantasy, i think about does he person have a magical item, how often can it be used, can i carry another person?

I think it's a fun ability and can be used in many ways if done right. :)