• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Elven race / elves - what do you like about them?

Or what do you dislike about them as a fantasy convention? Do you write elf /elven characters into your own writing? What form do they take? What are their origins in your worldbuilding? What type of elf / Elven characters do you like creating? Or what do you like when reading / watching / gaming when it comes to elves?

Queshire

Istar
I prefer to keep my Elves relatively close to the classic model and change the situation around them. I've seen a fair few takes on Elves that often feel like the author giving the middle finger to the whole idea of them, and I'm sorry, but I can't stand that.

My big setting is a science fantasy setting.

In it the Dwarves might not have been the first race to experiment with space travel, but they were undoubtedly the most successful in those days. They were, however, limited to slower than light travel.

The Elves were the first to develop magical FTL travel to the point that it could be systematically employed. It was limited due to requiring massive Gates that basically function as magical Mass Effect Relays, and as a result was limited to only those systems hooked up to their network. Still, the fact that they had FTL at all meant that they could actually have an interstellar nation to begin with. In comparison the travel times required meant that each Dwarven colony basically had to be its own kingdom.

That lasted up until one Elven Queen's bid for godhood resulted in the destruction of their network. (Said Queen turned Goddess is meant to be a nod towards Lolth in D&D, but more in a general evil elf goddess type of way than specifically Lolth.)

It was a comparatively short time between the destruction of the Elven network and the point where magical FTL developed to the point that every ship could have a drive installed (think Star Trek or Star Wars) but it was still long enough that the isolation caused the Elven nation to completely shatter. Some planets formed their own kingsdoms while some other populations of Elves were absorbed into other nations.

The greatest unified Elven force is a remnant fleet from the previous nation that fights against the forces of the Queen-turned-Goddess. (This is a nod towards the Elven Armada in D&D's Spelljammer.)

Physically my Elves are biologically immortal, however the accumulation of spiritual/mental detritus over the years leads to madness and eventual mutation. Cultivating their magical abilities lets them push off this corruption. They don't need the increased lifespan and biological immortality that other races can obtain by cultivating their magical ability, but do benefit from the spiritual aspect.

With the Elven interstellar nation's shattering the Elves have developed in different ways. Some continue the tradition of arcane magic favored by the fallen nation, others focus on biomancy for magical genetic engineering or to grow living ships and those dark elves that have not been corrupted by the Queen-turned-Goddess rival the Dwarves in their craftsmanship.

They taste good with a decent honey barbecue sauce after a slow grilling. Chop up some wild onions or leek to go with it and some collards and they're a good meal.

That aside, I go all over when using elves. From hungry village burning forest dwellers to decadent drow and many in between.

Physically they're usually tall, kind of a mix of Pathfinder and Warcraft sorts. Big eyes, sharp pointy ears that could poke an eye out, that sort of thing. Sometimes they even get chubby.

This is just a generalization for me. Given my obvious preferences for the green beasties.

Insolent Lad

Maester
I've explored only one race of elves in any depth, and that is the Dark Elves. Who are not dark; they just prefer to live in dimly-lit caves and worlds. Of a height similar to a human, but generally more lightly built. Very pale of skin. No pointy ears, thank you (though the related goblin branch of the fay family tree sometimes have them). As all fay, some skill in magic is universal but they can not match the best human sorcerers. They avoid our sort in general but will interact if it becomes necessary. Or if they are bored; that happens, being more or less immortal and all that.

I've introduced but one High Elf (or High Fay) in any of my tales. He could pass for human (yes, they can and do grow beards. The male ones, that is.). He took pains to explain the 'high' part of his people's label is a mistranslation of 'tall,' and that they claim no special status otherwise.

Early on in my world building, I divided all human-like races into four peoples, corresponding to the four elements. I kind of ignore that now but we humans are the People of the Fire, who enjoy being out in the sunshine. The various fay--elves, goblins, ogres, kobolds, etc--are the People of the Air. Dwarfs and trolls are of the Earth and, of course, we have merfolk for Water.

Incidentally, not one of them is green. I reserve that for some tribes of demons, but that is another subject.

Saigonnus

Auror
I really don't dislike elves, per se. I find the trope of them being forest-dwelling, vegan, self-righteous fae jerks who live so long that their machinations can take centuries to resolve, as somewhat "MEH".

In my writing I don't use them; or fae in general, as there is enough diversity among humans to populate the universe. I did however have them as part of a AD&D campaign I ran for years, but I used homebrew rules. The "high elves" and "wood elves" (think extinction) were gone, and those that survived (the gray/dark elves) barely resembled their fae ancestors. The grey elves became "moon elves", who were nocturnal; subsisted on whatever they could scavenge (mainly meat and night-blooming foliage/fungus), they were masters of magic (my system didn't use the core rules either, so their focus was on the forms of energy more available at night.) Scarsity and evolution made them live only 150% that of humans, and their civilization was tribal, with a comportment was more like barbarians than fae.

The "dark eleves" became "shadow elves" and were forced into the overworld, where they took up residence in the deserts of the world; as they relied on the heat of the earth. Their skin faded to a crispy tan color so they could blend in with the dunes and landscape of the terrain, and were more crafters, builders, and jewelers than anything else. Their numbers dwindled from lack of food, but soon they started growing cactus farms, and raising giant lizards for food (and for mounts). They are also tribal; like their cousins, but their are strictly hierarchal and militaristic.

JBCrowson

Inkling
In my world Humans were thralls to the demons until the end of the first god-demon war when they were released into the mortal realm to join the other races already there. Humans rapidly diverged into three lineages.
The first of which went underground since none of the other races had occupied that niche, and became known as the (trogl) odytes. The odytes developed excellent low light vision, but became sun blind so they are only seen on the surface at night when the brightest moon is not out.
The second group set up shop pretty much where they came out of slavery and stayed as regular humans.
The third group fled into the forest, fearing the demons would somehow come and reclaim them, and call themselves the fey. Their women folk became adept at stealth and camouflage like wood elves while the men became larger and larger as they trained in warrior arts until they resembled young wood giants.

I liked Tolkien's elves for their inherent sadness at having essentially failed to live up to their potential and fallen for their own hubris on more than one occasion. I'm less fond of the DnD style dark and high elves, though I don't mind the wood elves so much.

Can I ask what prompted you Finch to ask the questions that started this thread?

Gurkhal

Auror
When I use them I try to keep close to the classical vision of them.

One thing I've thought about is elves being kind of like sponges for magical energy. You would have all kinds of elves who have soaked up magical energy from various sources.

Lots of interesting takes on elves thanks for sharing your own versions and preferences.

I do pretty like the original model from Norse mythology, of which Tolkien modified for his worldbuilding, making them more humanoid. Crowson I agree with Tolkien elves having an inherent sadness to them which is I suppose attributed to their leaving Middle Earth by the time Lord of the Rings takes place. There is some aspects of fae / fair folk in their too I expect, with their tendencies to have an in built ‘glow’ and ethereal nature, or maybe even ephemeral nature.

I feel like the self-righteous, middle class vegan version was Peter Jackson’s interpretation of them on screen as I’m not sure I thought of them that way from the books, but I could be wrong. Maybe we correlate immortality to being wise, and being wise to being socially and economically higher in status… who knows.

I feel like elves are distinct from fae, so maybe my own version are less driven by trickery and deception, and more concerned with immortal issues.

I started writing a range of Elven races and so I was curious as to why others might be drawn to them, and how they use them, other than them just being a fantasy convention. For me, it was pretty much because they’re a fantasy convention that I wanted for write them, and of course their place in mythology. I like the challenge of writing characters who are immortal, and the questions that raises.

Mad Swede

Auror
I'm a little tired of seeing elves in fantasy stories, for me they have become something of a D&D style cliche in all too many stories. My view is that they have become overused.

So no, I don't use them in my stories. Which is not to say that "other folk" don't exist in the setting, only that the various characters in my stories have yet to come across whoever or whatever these other folk might be.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Elven race/elves What do you like about them?

I like that they offer variety. I very much like the D&D model, where you have many different types, such as high elves, and grey elves, and drow elves. I like that they can be both as strange and as familiar as I want them to be. And to some regard, I like their easy understandiblity.

I think their greatest value is something to contrast against, so that humans can be displayed a little more in the contrast.

Or what do you dislike about them as a fantasy convention?

Well...overused maybe. A thing that may be in the reach of the lazy a little too easily. Typically brought in without a lot of innovation. Some may change an aspect or make up different names for their gods, but generally, about what I would expect from any RPG game, if I was to join one.

Generally, I like to see that we have dug deeper into them, and can bring more than just a few checkbox traits to them.

Do you write elven characters into your own writing?

Initially, I did, but over time I moved away from them and made a separate race instead. They are elf-like, in some ways, but not really elves (I dont spend time explaining they have pointy ears, for instance). Being far along in the tale, I do kind of wish I had just used only humans. but I didn't. The other races are separate, and have origins that would make them non-elves.

But, if someone was to say...hey, these are kind of like elves, well...so it seems they are.

What form do they take?

None, cause I dont use them. But...thats just my current tale. In another I might. I am sure I would start with what I like about D&D elves.

The race I have that is like elves, is mostly different culturally, and in their relationship to magic, such that...they have better use of it given various circumstances. They are more likley to have 'bright-metal' and some magic quality to their items. Appearance wise, they tend to be more a white-grey or ash color. They may have strange color eyes, or hair, but I have not really dwelled on it.

What are their origins in your worldbuilding?

To answer would take a lot of explaining the world....

Short answer, they are the second of the remembered races. Their actions led them to an exile, and they are far and hard to find. But their legacy still affects much of the world. There are many races that came before them, and so far, the Morkind and Geshi have come after. Their origins is that they sprang out of the creative energy of the world after the falling away of the race prior to them.

What type of elf / Elven characters do you like creating?

Well, again, I like the D&D variety-grey elves and drow and all that. But, I would never write such, as they are too much D&D (Less I was writing a book under their banner).

I like them to bring something into the story that is uniquely theirs. HIstory and lore, and a relationship with the world different from mere human types. I also like their immortality, and so show it in greater wisdom and perspective on things that only one who lived long could have.

Or what do you like when reading / watching / gaming when it comes to elves?

The only things I dont want while reading is to be calling BullSh*t a lot. Along those lines, I also dont want to be feeling like they dont have anything to add, and/or they were just lifted or stolen from other works.

Otherwise, I am happy if any want to include them. The idea of beautiful, graceful other human-like beings wont get turned away from me.

It seems the current trend now, however, is to show the more beastial fae like creatures, maybe prior to Tolkien's version, and I am okay with that too. But...I dont think, when I am personally sifting out races, I will want my elves to be of the bestial kind.

Last edited:
When it comes to elves I've always liked two very distinct ways they are portrayed. Either very grounded in reality where they're basically just regular folks with long ears and their own set of customs. In this way they're treated more like an in setting ethnic group than a a race of "better than you in every way" magical beings. Dragon Age and the Elder Scrolls comes to mind where both of these elves are depicted as just people living their lives within the setting.

The other side of the coin is when they are fully sold as enchanted fae creatures and their role in the story kinda returns to the old pagan stories folklore that depicted them as nature spirits or sometimes supernatural tricksters. I still don't like it much when they're shown in the story to just be the best at everything but at least in this way it makes a bit more sense because they act more like plot devices than characters when they're depicted like this. I think of Lord of the Rings and Record of Lodoss which both have elves as supernatural beings (LotR kinda branches between the two though).

In my own worldbuilding I have elves as the first one with a history that dips into the second. They've got many of their own ethnic groups within the "Elf" umbrella similar to how humans have many different ethnic groups that call look and behave distinctly based on environmental and cultural factors. However, if you look back far enough, farther than even some modern elves would know about, you'd find that they came from a spiritual predecessor and have since outgrown that label.

JD Random

I prefer to keep my Elves relatively close to the classic model and change the situation around them. I've seen a fair few takes on Elves that often feel like the author giving the middle finger to the whole idea of them, and I'm sorry, but I can't stand that.

My big setting is a science fantasy setting.

In it the Dwarves might not have been the first race to experiment with space travel, but they were undoubtedly the most successful in those days. They were, however, limited to slower than light travel.

The Elves were the first to develop magical FTL travel to the point that it could be systematically employed. It was limited due to requiring massive Gates that basically function as magical Mass Effect Relays, and as a result was limited to only those systems hooked up to their network. Still, the fact that they had FTL at all meant that they could actually have an interstellar nation to begin with. In comparison the travel times required meant that each Dwarven colony basically had to be its own kingdom.

That lasted up until one Elven Queen's bid for godhood resulted in the destruction of their network. (Said Queen turned Goddess is meant to be a nod towards Lolth in D&D, but more in a general evil elf goddess type of way than specifically Lolth.)

It was a comparatively short time between the destruction of the Elven network and the point where magical FTL developed to the point that every ship could have a drive installed (think Star Trek or Star Wars) but it was still long enough that the isolation caused the Elven nation to completely shatter. Some planets formed their own kingsdoms while some other populations of Elves were absorbed into other nations.

The greatest unified Elven force is a remnant fleet from the previous nation that fights against the forces of the Queen-turned-Goddess. (This is a nod towards the Elven Armada in D&D's Spelljammer.)

Physically my Elves are biologically immortal, however the accumulation of spiritual/mental detritus over the years leads to madness and eventual mutation. Cultivating their magical abilities lets them push off this corruption. They don't need the increased lifespan and biological immortality that other races can obtain by cultivating their magical ability, but do benefit from the spiritual aspect.

With the Elven interstellar nation's shattering the Elves have developed in different ways. Some continue the tradition of arcane magic favored by the fallen nation, others focus on biomancy for magical genetic engineering or to grow living ships and those dark elves that have not been corrupted by the Queen-turned-Goddess rival the Dwarves in their craftsmanship.
Can I just say that reading folks talking about "Science fantasy" is wonderful? That's all.