• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

eSports

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume that the majority of the people here aren't all too familiar with eSports. Right? Maybe not, I'm sure there are exceptions, but I'm guessing those of you who are exceptions may have assumed the same thing I did.

Either way. For those who don't know; eSports is referring to computer games played competitively. If you're interested to learn more you can google it and find out loads. The reason I'm posting here is that the Dreamhack finals are on tonight (CET - may be earlier or later depending on where you are). It's a great opportunity to get an example of high-level eSports shown with a high production value (good show, good stream, good commentators). The live stream can be viewed at DreamHack Open- Streams

Enjoy - or be mesmerized by the confusion of random little dudes with machine guns running around shooting other little dudes.

Ophiucha

Auror
Stardust. <3 Missed a fair bit of the livestream while I was cooking dinner, but I managed to catch the end. Now to find all of the DotA 2 stuff on YouTube...

General eSports Comments: I follow Starcraft II, DotA 2, and Team Fortress 2 pretty regularly - and I followed DotA back in high school, too, but it kind of died down once LoL came out (a game I could never get into). I've only ever played TF2 competitively, though, and that one isn't as popular as it was a few years ago, so it's not something I get much of a chance to do any more. I'd love to get into the DotA 2 competitive scene, but my laptop's been having heating issues, so I'd rather wait until I move back to Vancouver and have access to a desktop again before I really get into it. For what little I've played of it, though, I've already gotten pretty damn good with Naga Siren, so I'm going to build from there when I get the chance.

Even though I play it the least, I actually like watching Starcraft II the most. I love the strategy that goes into it, and the commentators are usually a bit more insightful than with the other games. Watching a commentated TF2 game is like watching a game of football, just some guy doing a play-by-play and occasionally screaming excitedly or wincing audibly. With Starcraft, there is more time to really analyse each move and add a little story to the scenario. Plus, the players are usually better known.

Ddruid

Minstrel
Has anybody heard of the upcoming MMO Open World Shooter Firefalll? They're also developing e-sports based PVP apparently. That's where I first heard the term. They even give an esports toolkit for shoutcasters and all. Anyways, this definitely sounds like fun. Watching guys running around with machine guns just happens to be a favorite pastime of mine.

Check out the game. It looks awesome and its going open beta next month.