• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Fairies oh my!

Queshire

Istar
Holy thread necromancy batman!

Hrm, well, anyways, in one of my worlds, Fairies are basically the prototypes for Elves created by the egnimatic "First Race" and as such, they are a bit buggy.

Another idea is that they are a highly Order (a term I much prefer to Lawful) race, but their order is so big, so extensive, so all encompassing that it seems like little more then pure Chaos to non-fae. Kind of like a beuracracy actually.

Aravelle

Sage
Holy thread necromancy batman!

Hrm, well, anyways, in one of my worlds, Fairies are basically the prototypes for Elves created by the egnimatic "First Race" and as such, they are a bit buggy.

Another idea is that they are a highly Order (a term I much prefer to Lawful) race, but their order is so big, so extensive, so all encompassing that it seems like little more then pure Chaos to non-fae. Kind of like a beuracracy actually.

Has anyone ever told you how funny you are? [pertaining to batman thing] xD

deepikasd

Acolyte
For the idea of making the bad fairies look beautiful, refer to Terry Pratchett's Lords and Ladies. Though the book isn't really talking about elves, I love how they are portrayed. The elves which are beautiful beyond compare have a slightly off-quality to them which is apparent when it is revealed that elves are spiteful creatures whose true character is evil and mean. They have a kind of power which sort of hypnotizes other species to believe that they are quite beautiful and perfect. Maybe you could even have the evil fairies look very beautiful, but when their true traits come out their figures seem to distort and transform into something sinister. Also, you could have the good fairies kind of plain, but as people hang around them this type of fairy seem to transform into something beautiful.