• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Fantastic Creatures of Fantasy

I fall pretty firmly on the world building side of things, and I have hundreds of creatures. Most populate my world in the background or are waiting to make appearances in side stories, horror shorts or future novels.

I actually have so many that I am considering a new serial of horror shorts where each short is basically just another horrific species in action. I'm growing tired of scaring myself with my ideas :p

Many of my creatures are derivative, but the internal logic and physics of the world makes even derivative creations have a consistency and uniqueness to them and also makes creating new things a mathematical exercise for me that rarely slows down. Undead alone are EXTREMELY easy to make and outnumber living species (since each species has a few undead versions hanging around).

Sherman

Scribe
I create my own fantastic creatures. There are dragons and trolls--but I have adapted the concepts to the fantasy world. Trolls are not the same thing as the nordic trolls. They are an entirely different race that does not turn to stone in the sun. The females are called something else altogether since male and female look radically different.

I use a lot of mythical creatures, and usually incorporate some legends about un-seen creatures as well. It adds to the mistique of the world, I think. Like once I used the Kogohpuk (which was an actual mythic creature in ancient times in the Bering Strait) as a legend that terrified the locals, but didn't actually exist.

Nihal

Vala
I like it when the mythical creatures are inserted in the ecossystem in a way or another. I like to mix up things too.

I have a whole "draco" family that is composed of four legged winged creatures, with many species. Their avarage look is of a animal of the approximated size of a horse, lean and strong, feathered. They live in small colonies near cliffs and high places and are really territorial. They prey on avarage sized animals, often mountain rams and big-sized lizards, but they're really the opportunistic type of predator.

They fill the role of the looming winged menace and often populate big ruined of towers of the old. They don't fire or ice breath, but some species are poisonous. You've got also smaller and bigger species, with different habits and everything.

Those kind of creatures achieve the status of mythical on the popular imaginarium, people create stories based on then but otherwise they're integrant part of my world, not just "magical weird creatures".

Last edited:

Stinnpack

Acolyte
Recently I've been writing a story set in the nine circles of hell (each circle is different than what would be in The Divine Comedy but I used it as more of a skeleton design to work ideas off of ) and all of my characters are some kind of devil or monstrosity. I've been having a lot of fun with the new options it presents for decisions a character can make. It's also lead to some of the best action sequences I've ever written.