• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Fantasy Combat! Hagrid vs Gregor =)

Who wins the Death Match?

• They kill each other!

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Hagrid crushes Gregor like a toy, no question!

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Gregor wins, but dies later of his injuries.

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Hagrid wins, but dies later of his injuries.

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Gregor manages to win without much trouble.

Votes: 7 50.0%

• Total voters

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team
Now there's a preview with the two beating the crap out of each other. Who do I root for? Is it gray vs. gray—superheroes with this gray morality crap, where everyone's a hero until an agenda changes that? Is there a villain instigating the fight so that, halfway into the movie they're buddies again, so the "Vs." in the title is really an ampersand's secret identity?

To me, the answers are all in the trailers. I mean this movie takes place in the Nolan Batman universe, which includes Man of Steel. They're creating a shared universe like Marvel, so none of the other movies outside of those involving Nolan are cannon. If you've seen those movies, you'd know who these characters are generally within that context.

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
You're obviously more well versed in this stuff than I am. To me, I think having multiple alternate universes takes something away. You have all these different versions of the same character, it just seems like what I would do as an aspiring writer--keep tweaking my characters, who are not yet established.

I think when a character is famous, consistency would be nice. Look at Han Solo. He's the same guy in the next generation of Star Wars, and in books I read, I though authors did a great job writing him. I never came across a different Han (other than the Han that let Greedo shoot first). I appreciate the authors for not recreating Han Solo in their own image.

You want to talk about reality? First of all, according to historians, re-enactors, and HEMA people, plate armour does not significantly affect your movement due to its weight distribution. If you are agile out of armour, you will still be agile in armour.

Second, and I love that you pointed out working with linemen, NFL linemen, while slow compared to other NFL athletes, are still quite fast compared to the average person.

Third, as Brian pointed out, what I meant by quickness was not straight-line speed, but rather burst, sudden/start-stop movement, lateral agility, and the like.

1) You did not even ask for clarification? Interesting. Regardless, recall the chasing part in my comment, which is what Gregor did to Oberyn. If you and your sources want to believe extra mass would not require more energy, you and your sources are welcomed to believe so.

2) Where did I imply that I played in the NFL? I do love your assumptions, however. Not really. Should there be a reply, I hope it will be the last as I see no benefit in further communicating, or attempting to communicate. Anyway, the same basic movements apply to high school players, and you mentioned average people when Gregor and Hagrid are not average? Fair enough.

3) This will also be a reply to Brian. I felt no need to mention the various lateral drills as sprinting, at the start, involves swift foot movement, and faster people, surprise, tend to be more agile. Moreover, I did mention size in respect to that. Bigger athletes tend to get winded faster than smaller athletes, in sprints and in other drills, but I guess none of that matters, or ever did as no one bothered to ask for clarification. Very well. I guess comes the difficult part in expecting better communication when posting content related to worldbuilding and being willing to engage with the same people.

Just you: I could have directed you to the many matches with the Big Show and the Great Khali so that you could see how encumbered their movements are compared to smaller wrestlers but your fair assumption about what I based my perspective compelled me to do otherwise. Nonetheless, I will assume responsibility for this failure — real or imagined — in communication.

Correction:

In my first comment I stated I had some practice with Olympic wrestling, which might imply I was that good (absolutely not). It was amateur wrestling.

"What would be Hagrid's best weapon, in your opinion? I considered to give him the crossbow, but that would have made the fight even more unfair just like the wand and magic would do."

@ Sheilawisz

Magic. This question is akin to who would win between Superman and Goku, which would be Goku if you recall Superman's weakness to a particular light we can produce... emit... in abundance. Comparing characters from different universes is inherently unfair for a similar reason, removing one's basic method of defense even more so.

Last edited:

Sheilawisz

Queen of Titania
Hey there.

The point is that even though both Hagrid and Gregor are very fast and healthy in their worlds, they would be rather slow and poor fighters in the real world. Actually Hagrid could not exist, he is too damn big. If we can agree that they are unrealistic, then there is no need to have a debate regarding this issue.

Please let's refrain from posting more heated comments, alright?

When I started this thread, I never thought that it would escalate so much. In case other Mods agree with me that it should be locked, then I'll proceed to lock it and we can forget about everything that was posted here.

Crystal: Yes, I agree with you that comparing characters from different universes always causes trouble and I'll never do it again.

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team
You're obviously more well versed in this stuff than I am. To me, I think having multiple alternate universes takes something away. You have all these different versions of the same character, it just seems like what I would do as an aspiring writer--keep tweaking my characters, who are not yet established.

I can't argue with you there. I think in general, those familiar with comics are used to different continuities and don't have trouble changing gears. I mean in DC and Marvel there's the multiverse. In DC it used to be infinite continuities, which they pared down to 52. In Marvel, I believe there's still infinite continuities. And within these companies they do cross-overs where different versions of the same character interact.

In the Flash TV show they've begun introducing the multiverse with the introduction of Earth-2, a parallel world with different versions of characters.

Even within a continuity, characters can change drastically, when writing teams change. Sometimes it can be for the better. Deadpool went from bland villain of the week to a wisecracking merc with a mouth. Other times, it can be eyebrow raising at the least.

Last edited: