• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Favourite Type of Magic?

DavidJae

Troubadour
Which is your favourite type of magic? The Oriental style or the European, more medieval form of magic?

I prefer the Oriental style personally, for the greater physical discipline and more subtle magics.

I would be interested in what other people think.

edd

Scribe
i am not really sure what type of magic i like but i tend to lean on the side of exaggerated stuff.things that would say wow its the end of the world stuff.

Ophiucha

Auror
I feel like those are two very vague ways of dividing magic, and that each of those has a thousand divisions and there are things that fall outside of either definition (indigenous American, African, etc.). But if I have to choose between the two... European?, I suppose. If you mean, like, latin words and magic wands as opposed to something like Naruto or Avatar: The Last Airbender/Legend of Korra. I like both (I am freakishly obsessed with Korra right now), but I do prefer the versatility of the European system to the more defined Chinese 'magic system' used in these shows.

But, I mean, there's no reason you couldn't create a European-style magic system with an emphasis on discipline, nor an Eastern-style magic system with an emphasis on magic words and grandiosity.

Shockley

Maester
I've always operated under the idea of magic as a universal entity (I don't believe in it, of course, but taking a philosophical stance that it exists for the sake of this argument) with different facets, so I don't divide between 'western' and 'eastern' types.

It's all awesome. It's all cool.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
I've always operated under the idea of magic as a universal entity (I don't believe in it, of course, but taking a philosophical stance that it exists for the sake of this argument) with different facets, so I don't divide between 'western' and 'eastern' types.

You - you don't . . . believe in magic?

Hans

Sage
Do you believe in magic?
Yeah
Believe in the magic of the young girl's soul
Believe in the magic of-a rock and roll
Believe in the magic that can set you free
Ohh, talking 'bout the magic
-- The lovin' spoonful - Do you believe in magic

Sheilawisz

Queen of Titania
As a European I always prefer European culture over any other, and about Magic, I agree 100% with edd: I am in love with super powerful, unrealistic and reality-shattering Magic, stuff that would leave people in awe screaming: It's the end of the world!! Yeah, that's my style of Magic =)

Queshire

Auror
Personally, when it comes to the most magical type of magic to me, I think I have to go with the Japanese Onmyodo Onmyodo - Television Tropes & Idioms mainly because I have no clue how it's supposed to work or what it can do. It's mysterious and exotic to me. I think this is partially a cultural thing. Most stories featuring Onmyodo are writen in Japan for Japanese people, where they have a better cultural understanding of what it is meaning authors don't have to spell out how it works or what it can do.

Shockley

Maester

I've seen no evidence that it's real, even though I know plenty of people who insist that it is. I did stage magic professionally for a few months, so a lot of the 'real' stuff people gush about (Uri Gellar, for instance) isn't that impressive to me.

But I like to think that we live in a world of unlimited possibilities.

Hans

Sage
There are lots of different definitions of "magic". In some of them it is quite possible to believe without making a fool of yourself. E.g. "the magic of a single moment" and such.
Most definitions implicate magic as something unexplained. If it's explained it's no longer magic, it's science. (That is also the big difference between Fantasy and SF as I see it.) So our world strives to have less and less magic.

Aravelle

Sage
I've seen no evidence that it's real, even though I know plenty of people who insist that it is. I did stage magic professionally for a few months, so a lot of the 'real' stuff people gush about (Uri Gellar, for instance) isn't that impressive to me.

But I like to think that we live in a world of unlimited possibilities.

Bu-but...magic...

I have a great respect for hard science fiction, although I don't know enough science to pull it off, so any magic in my stories tends to function as if it were a hypothetical scientific discipline. Mages carefully study the effects of each rune or crystal on the overall enchantment, constantly tinkering and modifying to improve their craft, but always working within their established "physical laws."

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
I take the view that the human brain and the mind within is capable of truly astonishing things, given the right means of ..accessing.. them. I have long read what popular, semi-credible research exists on things like ESP, Telekinesis and similiar wonders, so after a long and painful detour into the AD&D system, I finally decided that was what magic was on my worlds - enhanced psionic abilities, granted by aliens a long time ago to kidnapped humans for unfathomable purposes of their own. 'Spells' are merely ways of optimizing the use of this power; to swat flies, you want a flyswatter, not a sledgehammer - same result, but the fly swatter expends far less power and does far less collateral damage.

Tacked onto this are other beings, some of them...almost benign at times, some alien and very different, some malevolent, who possess powerful talents of their own, ones humans cannot normally access, and can sometimes manage wondrous, impossible things.