• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Favourite villian

Addison

Auror
All characters have depth. NEED depth. Evil, like good, is made not born.

That said my favorite villains are:
TV: Regina/Evil Queen, Once Upon a Time. A complex, powerful woman to be feared and receive sympathy. On the other hand her psycho mother takes a close second to her. She wanted to be so much more than what she already wanted, not seeing what she had, that she destroyed her daughter's life so she would be as miserable as Cora so Regina would follow her foot steps. While on the subject I'm not convinced that Cora only found out about Daniel when Snow told her. She just used and played on Snow's heart so that she would tell her so that Regina would have someone to hate so much that she would go completely evil.

Movie:...this one is close. But I'd have to say the caves from Sanctum. It's a thriller/survival movie about a team of cavers and explorers working to map out the caves of the world's largest, dangerous and most mysterious cave system "Esa-ala". A flash flood blocks their exit, kills one member. Slowly the water and dangers of the cave climbing, loss of food, water and the toll of losing others takes everyone else out. There's no physical person that can be beat up to stop the suffering. No phone call or antidote to solve it. The perfect depiction of man vs. nature.

Book: This one was hard to pick, I read a lot of books. But I have to say Voldemort. Not just for who, or maybe what, he is but for how he affected Harry's life through the series. The first three he was more from a distance, ethereal, as a villain. The fourth he transitioned. The fifth and sixth he was both but still a force to be feared. Then the seventh he is more subtle then really brings down the force at Hogwarts. His background, while it helps readers to understand him, doesn't help him get as much sympathy as Regina, but I think Mac Taylor said it best on CSI:NY "There are people out there with worse stories than you, they never hurt anyone. You're not getting any sympathy from me."

Hi,

Movies - Jean-Baptiste Emanual Zorg from the Fifth Element - he does evil with such brilliant style that he makes me laugh every time. Plus he's Gary Oldman.

And an honourable mention to Jack Nicholson from the Witches of Eastwick for one of the most brilliant speeches ever given.

TV - Catwoman (Eartha Kitt) from the 1960's camp series of Batman - she really loved that role - and the voice!

Honourable mention to Doctor Smith from Lost in Space (not the rubbish movie). He exhibited so many brilliant character flaws and yet made them brilliant.

Books - Doctor Moreau - the archetype of the modern mad scientist. In some lights he almost seems reasonable and then just when you think so, your shown another deep chasm of insanity. And with him I'd chuck in Captain Nemo from twenty thousand leagues for much the same reason.

Cheers, Greg.

Smith from the matrix. He's awesome and he's played by Hugo Weaving aka Elrond and the Red Skull. :) Also The Red Skull. He's fricking awesome. :) Hail Hydra! :insertevillaughhere

Gryphos

Auror
Well if you want to talk about villains, I can't believe no one's mentioned GLaDOS from the game Portal, possibly one of the most iconic villains in recent popular culture. A rogue AI that's taken over Aperture Science research facility by gassing the researchers, and then passes the time by making test subjects go through challenges, only before killing them at the end.

She is basically one of the most entertaining and interesting characters in gaming, and definitely the best AI character in fiction. She's like HAL 9000 but so much more funny and hilariously passive-aggressive. Because that's the thing, most of the game she isn't even trying to kill you, she's just guiding you through the course while occasionally throwing passive-aggresive comments and false promises of cake at you.

A thing about a lot of AI characters a lot of the time is that they're presented as emotionless, which (in my opinion anyway) just leads to a boring character. But GLaDOS' dialogue has so much personality to it that it's almost impossible to not chuckle at almost everything she says. But in a way she's also rather tragic, unable to control her own sadistic tendencies.

Genuinely a truly amazing character and fantastic villain.

Fyle

Inkling
Darth Vader.

He is physically intimidating, mysterious (as far as how powerful he actually is with the force) and cold hearted.

His breathing gives you chills and the contrast of that red light sabre works nice.

Gotta say, the Joker is a great choice as well.