• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Finding a Writing Partner

LordCrueltor

I am an art student hoping to find someone to collaborate with in either a short or long-term project. Whether it be art-making or writing, I am looking to improve my skills. It doesn’t have to be my work or projects, it can be someone else’s idea.

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
What sort of things are you interested in or find engaging?
[It won't be me BTW - I don't play well with others ;)]

LordCrueltor

What sort of things are you interested in or find engaging?
[It won't be me BTW - I don't play well with others ;)]
If I had a choice, I think my legacy would be the creation of a fantasy world, but it doesn't get more in depth than that.
I would want it to be a place versatile enough to either be a book, a video game or other immersive experience.

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team
Creative partnerships can be complicated. They can be emotional like marriages and they can be complicated like a business relationship.

I hope you find what you're looking for, but IMHO, without a specific purpose as to what you want, this is the equivalent of putting up a blank profile on a dating site.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
Pretty much every invented world is versatile enough to be a book, a game or ... well, I'm not really sure what qualifies as "other immersive experience". The versatility comes not from the world itself but from the people doing the adapting.

I'm curious as to why you want a partner. Why not just make fantasy art?

Pretty much every invented world is versatile enough to be a book, a game or ... well, I'm not really sure what qualifies as "other immersive experience". The versatility comes not from the world itself but from the people doing the adapting.

I'm curious as to why you want a partner. Why not just make fantasy art?
Not trying to discourage you, but I'm with Skip here. Successful writing relationships are rare (and I don't count any of those pathetic franchise relationships as successful). You also need to ask yourself: what exactly do you bring the relationship?

You learn best by writing but who knows? Aint no rules when it comes to creativity and what turns out to be successful.

You could open a thread for suggestions for a creative brief? Some people on here may want to work with you to bring their ideas to life visually?

pmmg

Myth Weaver
I'll just add, I think this is an uphill battle. Doesn't hurt to ask, but I am not looking to be someones writing partner. I have my own stuff to write. I am sure your world is cool to you, but...well, I am just not in the market.

I feel most writers on writing sites will be that way. I'd not expect many will jump on this.

Mad Swede

Auror
Not trying to discourage you, but I'm with Skip here. Successful writing relationships are rare (and I don't count any of those pathetic franchise relationships as successful). You also need to ask yourself: what exactly do you bring the relationship?

You learn best by writing but who knows? Aint no rules when it comes to creativity and what turns out to be successful.
I'm with both skip.knox and The Dark One here. A good writing relationship is a partnership, where all parties bring something to the table. That applies irrespective of what you're writing, whether that be a novel, music, a D&D scenario or some academic paper. You all have to contribute something substantial, you should be making relatively equal contributions and you all have to be able to work together even when under pressure (e.g. because of some publishing deadline). This sort of partnership is both a business partnership and an emotional partnership - and there are many reasons why such partnerships often fall apart.

So ask yourself:
1. Why do you want a writing partner?
2. What are you bringing to the partnership?
3. Are you good at working with others?

Rexenm

Inkling
I wonder, what is the meaning in your partnership. Is it structure or wording? What is the goal you wish to reach that hasn’t been reached before? What is your spiritual relationship to the book, artwork, fantasy world?

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
Bringing a voice of experience to the discussion, I write collaboratively and have my entire adult life. I have two partners, one I married 33 years ago and have always collaborated with, and the other, younger, one I met here on Scribes. I also met our alpha reader here and no few beta readers. The secret? Hanging out, learning with everyone else, and most importantly, making friends, not just on Scribes but everywhere that writers gather. FB is a common stomping ground for us, but we've also been downsizing our social media a bit to focus on areas where we've been the most successful. So, come in with an open mind for learning and growing, be ready to present yourself authentically, and prepare to be pro. We have many writers on Scribes from all different levels of experience. There's a lot to learn. Good luck and godspeed! :)