• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Free online writing course starting October

Lace

Troubadour
That does look really interesting! I may sign up as well. I need to improve a lot! :)

I took the first version of this in the spring. It is somewhat helpful, but there's nothing there that you can't learn this summer by watching Youtube channels like the Brandon Sanderson lectures and Ellen Brock's channel — not to mention the Novel Boot Camp series on her blog. Pair that with a writing challenge where you can write (or at least start writing) an entire novel, such as Camp NaNoWriMo which just started this week and can still be joined, and you actually have lots of free resources that give you more than the Future Learn course, and you don't have to wait several months to get started.

I'm not saying don't take the course, because writing practice is never a bad thing, but when I took it (it only just ended a few weeks ago) it left me wanting.

ALB2012

Maester
I didn't finish the writing one - I was without a computer for a couple of weeks and what with working full time and trying to finish my novel I don't have the energy. I am supposed to be doing a history course this month but I'm up to week 2 and I haven't started. It is a shame as I really want to do it.

Look at Coursera.org as well. They have tons of free stuff, including a good Historical fiction course, which is also useful for fantasy writers and a course about sci fi and fantasy.

phoenixgrey

Acolyte
I also took the Futurelearn course in the spring. I found it challenged some of my "barriers" when it came to writing. But it is fairly basic. I enjoyed it though.

As for Coursera, I hadn't thought of checking them out for writing courses. I'll definitely take a look - thank you ALB2012. :)