• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

G.O.T. filming in LA?

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
I looked at sites claiming to show episodes of GOT but I think all are scams.
I don't know how to do the spoiler thing, but I mention season 2 wedding below, most have probably seen it.

Maybe I will force myself to read it, rather then wait?

Season 2 wedding (Stark) was pretty bland, but they are from the rational family and more along the line of an elopement.

Another TV fan who has not read the books...

Heed the warning.

SeverinR

Vala
Well, last night's episode makes me think I interpreted the nature of your warning correctly. I consider myself warned.

While the topic of nudity has come up (I think not by me, but I may be wrong), Brienne was cute. "Get in another tub!"

Here is that scene,
Disclaimer: do not click on the scene if underage, or if nudity offends, but if offended I doubt you would be watching or talking of Game of Thrones.
Brienne looks very nice for a warrior woman, a bit under-developed muscles to be a long time study of heavy metal martial arts.
Game of Thrones 3x05 - Jaime Lannister and Brienne Bath scene - YouTube

SeverinR

Vala
Ah, I see now I need to search you tube for tidbits, If I can't see them complete I can follow them by postings.

"Half the countries starving and look at this one."
"Maybe he's the reason half the countries starving?"

"No, my lord, Anyone can be killed." Arya to Tywin Lanister

Last edited:

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
First wedding done... nothing disturbing came of it (yet?), but the boy king was more punchable than ever. Scary predictions will haunt me for the next two weeks. And, wow, what a miserable wedding ceremony! Even the Monty Python Holy Grail wedding ("Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who." *rolls eyes*) was more cheerful than that.

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
First wedding done... nothing disturbing came of it (yet?), but the boy king was more punchable than ever. Scary predictions will haunt me for the next two weeks. And, wow, what a miserable wedding ceremony!

You poor guy, you...

SeverinR

Vala
The Rains of Castamere -The National - YouTube

"Dark and full of spoilers" the first person said.
History might repeat itself, but the song is of history.
What was, will be again.

"Yes now the rains weep o'er his hall,
And not a soul to hear."
Lyrics from <a href="http://www.elyrics.net">eLyrics.net</a>
It's a Lanister song and a Lanister's long to weep.

The Rains of Castamere: Game of Thrones (Harp Twins) Camille and Kennerly - YouTube
The harp and the twins don't make it anywhere near as ominous and foreboding.

Would love to attend an SCA event and have a group of men sing it while drinking. (I know its not period.)

If the men sing that, then the women should sing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6AQreUUyVE
Sansa's hymn

Last edited:

SeverinR

Vala
Found this one,
Has both versions of Rains of Castamere, plus an added feature at the end.
"And so it shakes, and so it shakes the ass of Castamere." (see at 5;45 if you want to pass what you already know, Give a hand to the Hand of the king.

rain of castamere - Bing Videos

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
Oh...thats why...I'd almost forgotten THAT wedding.

It looks like season three really is only half of book three.

Poor LS...

I do wonder how they're going to manage the tv versions of books 4 & 5, though, as those run parallel, split by character. Dany and Tyron don't really appear in book four, and Briene makes only a very short cameo in book five.

GRRM needs to get book six done pronto.

SeverinR

Vala
Oh...thats why...I'd almost forgotten THAT wedding.

It looks like season three really is only half of book three.

Poor LS...

I do wonder how they're going to manage the tv versions of books 4 & 5, though, as those run parallel, split by character. Dany and Tyron don't really appear in book four, and Briene makes only a very short cameo in book five.

GRRM needs to get book six done pronto.

If they read seperately, but "run parallel" then they simply connect the actions as best they can. They can't pay/retain actors for a whole season and not use them. They take two seasons to complete two books, rather then cover one book per season.
Even adults do age and continue living, skipping a season could cause a problem in the aging process.
Aging is the biggest problem for the kids, they mature even in the off season. I don't think its been a problem yet, but let a year slip by without the kids being shown, and they will look alot different when they return, and I'm assuming the time is unchanged if the books run parrallel. Don't know if the kids are focused on more in one book, as opposed to the other.

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
If they read seperately, but "run parallel" then they simply connect the actions as best they can. They can't pay/retain actors for a whole season and not use them. They take two seasons to complete two books, rather then cover one book per season.
Even adults do age and continue living, skipping a season could cause a problem in the aging process.
Aging is the biggest problem for the kids, they mature even in the off season. I don't think its been a problem yet, but let a year slip by without the kids being shown, and they will look alot different when they return, and I'm assuming the time is unchanged if the books run parrallel. Don't know if the kids are focused on more in one book, as opposed to the other.

Well...the end of book III sets up a great cliffhanger. So if season IV is the second half of book III, then I don't foresee any serious problems there. They might be able to move some book IV stuff into season IV, but...

...the rest is going to be tricky. There are some entire plot arcs which I believe could be dropped from books IV and V without really critically screwing things up...but that still leaves more than can be squeezed into a single season.

GRRM hit a major roadblock after book III. His original plan called for a 'five year gap' between the end of book III and the start of book IV. The situation in Dorne, combined with a couple of active POV characters made that unworkable. He spent a long time going back and forth on the merits of a seven chapter prologue ( ::watches half the board have a stroke:: ) but abandoned that as well, again because of the situation in Dorne. Eventually, the 'five year gap' went from a plot device to a publication schedule. He just picked up the various POV's days or weeks after the end of book III and took it from there.

However, now that books IV and V are out, I don't really see the fuss over the Dorne issue. The sequence that had him so flumoxed could probably be reduced to a single television episode with a few short references elsewhere. Another similiar sequence for a popular (?) character in the riverlands could also be mostly deleted, though it does have a cliffhanger end to it. (Most of the events leading to said cliffhanger could be done away with).

SeverinR

Vala
5 yr jump would change alot.
The youth could have a problem with age, the teens could pass as being older, but the younger would be tough to play suddenly 5 yrs older.
I haven't read the books, but the winds of war would change drastically over 5yrs.
Did "winter" arrive at that point so the known(now) war activites drop off?

I didn't realize the real ages of the Stark girls, Arya is 16, Sansa is 17. In GOT Arya is 13 and Sansa is 15, I think thats what she said at her wedding. 5 yrs would put the characters 18 and 20, not far from their real ages.

I'd think the gap would be hard to follow and I think I would be one to stroke over a 7 chapter prologue.

Cliffhanger:
Could they fill the season so the cliffhanger ends the season of book III? I bet they could.
Wait...end of book 3 has a great cliffhanger, but he wanted to jump 5 yrs before picking up the cliffhanger?

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
Cliffhanger:
Could they fill the season so the cliffhanger ends the season of book III? I bet they could.
Wait...end of book 3 has a great cliffhanger, but he wanted to jump 5 yrs before picking up the cliffhanger?

Originally, book IV was supposed to start five years after the events in book III.

He decided that idea wouldn't work - because of the situation in Dorne, and a few other issues.

His first solution was to have a seven chapter 'prologue' set in the five year span. He decided that wouldn't work.

So he just picked up from there.

Given that a lot of stuff can be cut, and that there are some cliffhangers in books IV and V, I suppose they could be merged without loosing too overly much.

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
Poor LS...
Oh… that wedding.

My wife called it before it was foreshadowed (baby name + music), though she wasn't expecting it that soon. I figured out what the song was, but even then, I had that naive hope like in Season 1's episode 9.

Those episode 9s! Season 4, you won't surprise me in Episode 9. No Episode 9 can ever surprise me unless it has a happy ending.

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
Spoiler tags may be in order here. Severin, don't open it! I'm not being vague and I don't want to ruin the episode for you. Feel free to chime in once you've seen the episode (with tags, please)...

First of all, thanks to those who read the book for keeping the warning too vague for me to guess.

My wife did see one thing coming.

Wait a minute... Severin, did you get curious and open the spoiler tag? Better safe than sorry, but don't open THIS one:
My wife predicted that the Stark baby would never be born. She thought the royal couple was too happy and too perfect. In hindsight, King Rob made obvious mistakes and Jon Snow always seemed to be the real hero-in-the-making among the Stark men. Guess it's just him now, assuming he won't be Episode Nined like his father and half brother.

The interesting part was the foreshadowing. The baby name: Eddard. Why not call him Dead Meat? But I was still in denial even with my wife's words fresh in my mind. Then the door closed, and the guy LOOKED LIKE an assassin. I was thinking that! But, no... I still didn't expect it. The band played the Lannister song. Where have I heard that before? Oh, I remember now. Denial sure is powerful.

Next thing I know, a beautiful, pregnant woman is getting rapidly stabbed in the womb and my wife is clinging to me. I'd say my expression mirrored that of the characters, and same for my wife. No one wept onscreen or off. Just that look of defeat. I think Rob was thinking what I was thinking when he said, "Mother..." There was no point in slitting that young woman's throat, and even if that act saved Rob, if I were in his position, I'd prefer to be finished off.

All I can say is that tragedy done well is awesome. I'm also glad the tragic stuff happens in Episode 9, so there's still hope that someone more deserving will suffer in Episode 10. Still, I'm guessing the old bastard won't be among the body count. I'm rooting for Brienne, Snow and Dany. One of them's gotta do something wonderful. Or the imp.

That's the hope, at least.

SeverinR

Vala
I saw the red wedding on youtube. (Search; game of thrones, red wedding)
I don't like weddings.

Like all other scenes, done excedingly well.

I knew the song meant something, not good.

I am getting parts of almost every episode (I think they get removed quickly, so I never can watch them again.)

Thanks for the spoilers warnings though. (I didn't click them until I saw it.)

Edited to prevent spoiler, since I don't remember how to do spoiler tags.

Last edited: