• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Giving back, Marketing, and Community Good Will.

BWFoster78

Myth Weaver
When people do reviews for other members books, is there a place where they typically post them to this site? Would it be considered a good idea when I review Robert's book to post it, say, in the novels section as well?

TWErvin2

Auror
For a start I've picked up on my Kindle:
Lorelei and the Lost and Found Monster
Le Morte d'Arthur
The Demons of Lashte

Will read and provide reviews on Amazon and will also provide reviews/exposure on my blog: Up Around the Corner.

I have also signed on as a follower of Rant, Ramble and Rave and posted a comment on When All of a Sudden and bbobblog (didn't see a spot to click and 'follow' the blogs)

For those who might like Epic/Action Adventure Fantasy, my novels in the First Civilization's Legacy Series below are availble via ebook and print (and Audiobook for Flank Hawk now and Blood Sword probably this fall as it's in production).

All the places my novels are available can be found at this link: Where Flank Hawk and Blood Sword are Available

Last edited:

JCFarnham

Auror
Hey, Terry, I forgot to say I would also be doing a review of your novels at some point. Certainly Flank Hawk (since I read that a while ago) but probably even Blood Sword when I finish it (currently reading).

This for every one else, I will be posting reviews on my blog (first) and others (second. eg, amazon, smashwords, etc.) simply because while it would be fine posting them on Scribes, it sort of avoids the point of helping each other promote outside Scribes. That being said, I hope to post them where ever I can because any and all visibility is good for sales.

Findability across the internet is the key phrase.

BWFoster78

Myth Weaver
For a start I've picked up on my Kindle:
Lorelei and the Lost and Found Monster
Le Morte d'Arthur
The Demons of Lashte

Will read and provide reviews on Amazon and will also provide reviews/exposure on my blog: Up Around the Corner.

I have also signed on as a follower of Rant, Ramble and Rave and posted a comment on When All of a Sudden and bbobblog (didn't see a spot to click and 'follow' the blogs)

For those who might like Epic/Action Adventure Fantasy, my novels in the First Civilization's Legacy Series below are availble via ebook and print (and Audiobook for Flank Hawk now and Blood Sword probably this fall as it's in production).

All the places my novels are available can be found at this link: Where Flank Hawk and Blood Sword are Available

Terry,

I love your covers. Who did the art? They're fantastic!

I also love the plane in the background. After I finish Robert's book and review, I'll try to get to one of yours.

TWErvin2

Auror
Hey, Terry, I forgot to say I would also be doing a review of your novels at some point. Certainly Flank Hawk (since I read that a while ago) but probably even Blood Sword when I finish it (currently reading).

This for every one else, I will be posting reviews on my blog (first) and others (second. eg, amazon, smashwords, etc.) simply because while it would be fine posting them on Scribes, it sort of avoids the point of helping each other promote outside Scribes. That being said, I hope to post them where ever I can because any and all visibility is good for sales.

Findability across the internet is the key phrase.

Thanks for reading Flank Hawk, JC Farnham, and then getting a hold of Blood Sword! Looking forward to your reviews.

A few other things members could do: There are tags that can be clicked/selected on for Amazon Kindle/Print books, as well as clicking that reviews of works were helpful, especially positive reviews.

Another thing is creating Listmainias, including works here along with similar works you've enjoyed that might be more widespread.

These things over time can help to increase visibility of an author's work on Amazon.

TWErvin2

Auror
Terry,

I love your covers. Who did the art? They're fantastic!

I also love the plane in the background. After I finish Robert's book and review, I'll try to get to one of yours.

BW Foster,
Christine Griffin did the art work. She did an excellent job, and it was great working with her. I recommended her to my publisher as I'd seen her work through a cover art competition at the ezine I edit for.

Although it's a series, I wrote Flank Hawk as a standalone novel (not knowing if I'd find a publisher), and then followed up with Blood Sword to standalone as well, yet written to complement Flank Hawk (for those who'd read it). That was tricky and took me a long time to study and figure out how to do. Still, I think it's always better to start with the first novel in a series.

Hopefully Christine Griffin will be available for the cover to my next novel in the series that I'm working on now.

Telcontar

Staff
Thanks, Terry. Glad you enjoyed it. :)

Robert - I read the sample of Critical Failures on Smashwords and intend to pick it up soon. I like what I saw so far. Are you by any chance a fan of Erfworld or Order of the Stick? There are shades of both of those in your book (not in a bad way).

Also, if anyone wants to do me a pretty big favor, try reading The Giant of the Tidesmouth, one of my novellas. It's shorter but (I think) a lot of fun, with lots of fighting and humor. It's part of the Wandering Tale series, and still doesn't have a review on Amazon.

Last edited:

JCFarnham

Auror
Thanks, Terry. Glad you enjoyed it. :)

Robert - I read the sample of Critical Failures on Smashwords and intend to pick it up soon. I like what I saw so far. Are you by any chance a fan of Erfworld or Order of the Stick? There are shades of both of those in your book (not in a bad way).

Also, if anyone wants to do me a pretty big favor, try reading The Giant of the Tidesmouth, one of my novellas. It's shorter but (I think) a lot of fun, with lots of fighting and humor. It's part of the Wandering Tale series, and still doesn't have a review on Amazon.

I can always add it to the list hehe though at this point I imagine I'll be reading stuff by you guys for months to come.

Not a problem at all ;)

robertbevan

Troubadour
well... i just bought "chalice and knives" and "the demons of lashte".

i also picked up "le morte d'arthur", and i downloaded the sample of "the giant of the tidesmouth".

i did all of that this morning. and then i tried to buy the three books in the 'wandering tales' series, and amazon said i couldn't place an order because i was in a different country. grr...

well, i've sent them an email. and i guess i've got plenty to read while i get this problem sorted out.

Here's hoping you enjoy! When is the ETA for Queen of Mages?

I'm literally a couple hours of work away from finishing the writing; then all that's left is the cover art and the map. The cover art should be done in the next couple of weeks (I hired someone); the map will probably only take me another hour or two to finish.

I don't have a particular target date, but really, any time in August.

The Demons of Lashte

Awesome! That may well push my sales into the high single digits! ;)

well... i just bought "chalice and knives" and "the demons of lashte".

I very, very sincerely hope you enjoy them :)

robertbevan

Troubadour
i enjoyed chalice and knives quite a bit. i'll be giving it a five star review when i get home to a computer. i feel like i got a five star read for my dollar.

but i do have a couple of minor criticisms. i felt like you overexplained a few motivations for character actions, when you might have been better off trusting the reader a little bit more to figure out things for himself.

also i felt like the amount of money at stake was inconsistent. at one point she was talking about being able to retire with servants, but by the end she came away without enough to even cover her expenses.

minor things. but a nice little rogue adventure.

i enjoyed chalice and knives quite a bit. i'll be giving it a five star review when i get home to a computer. i feel like i got a five star read for my dollar.

but i do have a couple of minor criticisms. i felt like you overexplained a few motivations for character actions, when you might have been better off trusting the reader a little bit more to figure out things for himself.

also i felt like the amount of money at stake was inconsistent. at one point she was talking about being able to retire with servants, but by the end she came away without enough to even cover her expenses.

minor things. but a nice little rogue adventure.

Well thank you! Yeah, the balance between subtlety and explication of character motivation is something I still struggle with. It's frustrating because I've had different people tell me that the same passage is either too subtle or too explicit. :confused:

The money thing, that's a good point. I might revise that and republish. (Which is a wonderful thing about epublishing!)

EDIT: Oh, and if you feel like posting a review on Amazon, I'd appreciate it doubleplusmuch. No worries though.