• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Good Show Sir - have you all seen this?

Steerpike

Felis amatus
A lot of those are good books.

Thing is, you have to put covers in the context of the times. When many of those covers were produced in the 1960s, they were probably considered pretty cool.

50 years from now someone may have a collection of covers that we think are cool now, and they may look pretty stupid to someone in 2060.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
A cover can be laughable and still be very effective as a cover. It can be stylish and sleek, but totally fail. It's all in the brand.

I'm going to get someone to paint me a nice dark cover for my book, protag in the foreground, the others silhouetted behind him. I suppose I had better write the damn thing first.

Ghost

Inkling
I was going to make a thread about this for the novels subforum. I'd never seen the site before this week, but I remember seeing similar bizarre covers in my local library when I was a kid. I thought the book was about whatever was on the front cover. So if there was a giant eye floating in the night sky looking down at a naked woman on a sacrificial altar, I'd think the book was really about an giant eye that sacrifices women. :confused:

I like Kit's law:

"Thou shalt not put thy female warriors in cheesy chainmail bikinis. Visualize your female warrior in battle. Now visualize her popping out of a cake at a 1970's bachelor party. If scenario #2 looks more cohesive, you have sexually objectified your female warrior too much. Dress her in something else."

and it totally applies to male warriors and bachelorette parties as well.

Ankari

Hero Breaker
"Thou shalt not put thy female warriors in cheesy chainmail bikinis. Visualize your female warrior in battle. Now visualize her popping out of a cake at a 1970's bachelor party. If scenario #2 looks more cohesive, you have sexually objectified your female warrior too much. Dress her in something else."

After digging around that site it led me to this image. I laughed so hard I think my wife woke up.

Ghost

Inkling
lol, it looks like she's still trying to impress people with the skull of the guy she killed years ago. "Yeah, it was a tough fight, you guys. Let me tell you all about it. Ow, another splinter."

The goblin might be impressed, but I'm not sure it's because of her prowess as a warrior.