• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Greetings from my magical island!

KSparkes

OK... Maybe I can't prove that Newfoundland is magical in any way, but just try spending a foggy day here and not imagining a dragon slinking through the haze. I dare you. ;)

My name is Kate. I'm a writer of novels and short stories, working on getting the first novel in a YA high fantasy series ready for publication, leaning toward self-publishing but open to other options. I'm a terrible judge of my own work, but I'm told that my greatest strengths are characterization, dialogue and sexual tension. I will admit that I have a teeny-tiny issue with passive descriptions, but I'm busting out the Wasbreaker* and hitting my manuscript hard.

I blog at disregard the prologue, posting about my work, writing, life, things that amuse me, books I've read and anything else that strikes my fancy. My stories are far less random than my blog is, tending toward big adventure with romance that's slightly more realistic than most YA books: no insta-love, real consequences for falling for the wrong person, and absolutely no "you complete me" stuff. If my characters can't complete themselves, they don't get to be in my book.

Thanks for having me, look forward to joining in on the forums and getting to know some of you better!

-K

*It's a huge knife for cutting wases. You haven't heard of it?

Jess A

Archmage
Hi Kate, welcome to Mythic! :) There are a few others who have written YA or are looking into writing it, so you are in good company. There are also numerous discussions on ways to publish.

Hope you enjoy your stay!