• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Greetings from The Geek Within

Sorrow

Acolyte
Hi all

New to the forum, I hope to learn and depart what little wisdom I have with peeps who share the same love for fantasy writing. A place where my love of most things geeky will not be frowned upon and not have to remain hidden (kept secret and safe while I blend into society, perfecting my camouflage of normality). Or maybe it's my armour, protecting my Star Trek loving, Princess Zelda wannabe from the harsh reality of the World.

See what happens when you put me in front of a keyboard and blank screen :( Nothing intercepts my thoughts before they reach the keyboard. Back on point, I am currently living in London, but Scotland is where I grew up and is never far from my heart. I have always loved reading, and when I was 14 I wrote my first 'book'; my take on an Agatha Christie novel, with as much integrate planning and plotting of 'who done it' as an imaginative 14 year old could muster. Probably the same for many of you, I read Lord of the Rings in my youth, and it was the start of my love of fantasy. Discovering Pink Floyd at the same time provided the perfect fantasy soundtrack to the book :)

Anyway, I am always sneaking in brainstorming time at work on my lunch, working on my journal (creative and personal) and putting together piece by piece a story I hope will one day take readers far from the mundane routine of reality into a world where their inner adventurer can explore and embrace.

I have definitely waffled on for far too long, and if anyone is still reading by this point, then I am sorry for dragging you along my self-indulgent ramblings. You can walk away from the computer now, safe in the knowledge that if you are having trouble falling asleep in future, you can search for any posts I write as an alternative to Horlicks or a sleeping pill.

Peace x

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
Good Morning Sorrow
Welcome to MS.
I hope you find this place as friendly and helpful as I have.
Jump in when you have a mind to.
[and early Pink Floyd is pretty perfect for most things - I believe]

Chilari

Staff
Welcome, Sorrow. I find the Scottish landscape particularly inspiring for writing. The wild rugged beauty to it, the bracing winds, the sense of there being a more interesting reality, a freer world than the paved over blocky world of the city. Though in England the Lake District and Dartmoor and various other rural locations fulfil a similar role, if never quite so dramatic.

My sister has a DVD of Pink Floyd Live at Pompeii. No audience, just epicness. If the ancient Roman world has ever been an inspiration to you, check it out (if you haven't already).

teacup

Auror
Welcome, Princess Zelda you say? I love The Legend Of Zelda so much, can't wait for the 2014 one.
Don't hide your geekiness, embrace it. Hell, I'm still playing yugioh haha.

Hope you enjoy the site.

Sorrow

Acolyte
Thank you for the warm welcome :)

Teacup, yup The Legend Of Zelda is pretty damn awesome :)

Chilari, I agree, Scotland is stunningly beautiful. It is nice to venture past the M25 and see some country side from time to time, but it is just not the same :( Scottish culture and history is so rich as well as the landscape, and provides me with lots of inspiration when world building. Although my days of Highland Dancing and Hogmanay celebrating may be over, moving has bought more experience, wonder and inspiration to my life. The glass is always half full :) (Except when on the tube in rush hour, then glass is empty and flying towards the person pushing in front of me....)