• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Greetings!

Angharad

Troubadour
Hi, I'm happy I just found this site, and I'm looking forward to sharing ideas and learning from other fantasy writers. I've written a few short stories and I'm working on my first novel, but I haven't made too much progress. I'm afraid I'm a perfectionist and it's hard not to edit as I go, which really slows things down!

Editing as you go is a tough bad habit to drop, but it is oh-so-essential when trying to write something at all lengthy. Welcome to the forums, though. I'm sure you'll find tons of great information here for your novel project and there will be plenty of opportunities to share your own ideas.

Angharad

Troubadour
Thank you, Mystagogue! I found participating in NaNoWriMo was a good way to break out of the constant editing mode, since it didn't give me time to edit. I have to force myself to write in long bursts and not look back.

Oops, I was browsing around the site and I realized that Mystagogue isn't your name, but your Rank! What a n00b I am! Anyway, thanks, Map the Dragon!

Last edited:

Leuco

Troubadour
Mystagogue must be new, cos I haven't heard of that one!

Anyway, welcome to the boards, Angharad! Good luck with your novel!

TWErvin2

Auror
Angharad,

Welcome. I manage editing as I go by reviewing what I wrote the previous session, making corrections and then adding new words. Then, the next session, I review/edit the new words from the last session, then add more until the novel is finished. It's a balanced approach and works for me while helping me get back into the scene/action.

Glad you joined and looking forward to getting to know you.

Terry

Argentum

Troubadour
Welcome, Angharad! :D Nice to meet you! I love editing as I write, but I agree that Nanowrimo is a great way to keep out of the editing mode. Good luck on writing your first novel!

Hello Angharad and welcome to the forum. Good luck on completing your novel. As Map said it is important just to get your thoughts out. You will have plenty of time to edit later, and we will be happy to help in the Showcase forum.