• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Hallo, everyone

Magicat

Scribe
I'm Magicat. I live on the border between England and Wales - when hanging out the washing, I can see the Welsh hills (if it's fine) and the rain coming (if it's about to be not fine).

I am older then I look, and have wanted to write since I was quite young. My parents gave me a portable typewriter (yes, I'm that old!) for my 21st birthday. I was told I had writing talent in my 30s, but stuck with the nice, secure day job. I wrote a novel in 6 weeks in my 40s for a first novel competition, I got to the last 40. I still stuck to the nice secure day job. I wrote some silly stuff to help my work colleagues survive a really stressful time a while back. I've always been able to make people laugh. About 5 years ago, an idea for a medieval-type fantasy story popped into my head, but I kept it as a dark secret, calling the time I snatched in odd moments with a pencil and paper "just scribbling". It matured, it now starts with the history of the mother of my original character, and I think I may have a multi-book on my hands . . . I've also written some short stories in a humorous style which a couple of friends were quite complimentary about. In fact one took me by the ear and said "Stop prevaricating, get down and write". So here I am, taking me and my wish to write seriously at long last and claiming the time to do it.

Ideas for stories keep popping into my head, does anyone else have that problem?

I like light-hearted stuff. I'm enjoying reading some contemporary fantasy - the Enchanted Inc series by Shanna Swendson (I hope I've spelled that right), and the Chronicles of St Mary's.

I look forward to "meeting" you all. This is the first forum I have ever joined, I have no social media experience, so please forgive me if I make some goofy mistakes, or take time to respond to contacts - it may well be that I'm scrabbling around trying to find the right button to press!

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
Hail and well met Magicat
Welcome to the Maelstrom!
Nice to have you here.
We react well to mistakes and missteps... when it comes to loud noises, we are not so good...
Don't sit on the Gnomes and everything should be okay...
I have a typewriter too, but mine is purely to have photos taken with, and not for use...

Reaver

Staff
Welcome to Mythic Scribes Magicat! Thank you for being part of our community! I look forward to more chats with you and seeing your posts around the forums.

Magicat

Scribe
[In a whisper] Thank you, CupofJoe. I used to live in leafy Surrey, fled to the hills 15 years ago!

The painted Gnomes in garden centres have always struck me as being poor chairs, I think it's the pointy hats!

Magicat

Scribe
Thank you, too, Reaver. I look forward to chatting too - when we're not playing This or That . . .

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
welcome to the scribes! I hope you find the support and motivation you need here. This is my only writing forum too and it's the place I like to hang out when procrastinating from writing. Have a splendid day!

Magicat

Scribe
Greetings, Caged Maiden, it's good to meet you.

I've been here while chopping veggies, I'm so enjoying myself. Is that procrastination too?I am now Definitely Signing Out, there's a nice bubbly bath to have with a good book. i daren't trust the computer in the bath . . .

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
I get all my best writing done in the bath...part of life with four young kids. I've turned it into my office--the only place I can get peace.

Russ

Istar
Thank you to TheCatholicCow and thedarknessrising. I feel very happy here already.

Welcome aboard, some great tales often come out of people who have had them perculating inside them for a time, here's hoping yours will too.

It is a great community, full of helpful and friendly people. Feel free to jump in with any questions or concerns you have, or sit back and take the temperature first. Either way will work well.

But...that lovely lady who welcomed you above is generally known as CatholicCrow not CatholicCow. :angel:

:cow: vs :bat: LOL The spelling was close. No harm done. My old gaming screen name used to be "ImmaMegaTroll" - people used to call me "Irma" which was WAY more off. You were close :) I also go by Stephanie if that makes it easier but there might be too many people on here for you to remember that.

Magicat

Scribe
Oh, I love the emoticons, I intend to learn how to do those. Wait, how about now . . .:)

I think my fingers may find Stephanie easier, thank you. They'll have to get it right if I initiate a message to you, I s'pose.

This on-line stuff is really hard for someone with a Very Old mobile 'phone who thinks a computer is an excellent was of typewriting! But I'll get there - I hope.

I'm off-line for a bit, will reconnect soon.