• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

hand drawn to computer map creation

hannibal41

Acolyte
I have a collection of maps i have drawn for my world, but i want to get them on my computer and add them to my fantasy encyclopaedia (for another topic). What would be the best way of going about this? would i need to recreate them using some sort of software?

Nihal

Vala
I'm not sure of what you're asking.

You should scan them and adjust the images. In the past I did a tutorial showing how to turn the artwork transparent, one of the steps is cleaning up the image on photoshop, useful for you: http://mythicscribes.com/forums/fantasy-art/7159-tutorial-cleaning-up-your-scanned-artwork.html

After scanning, adjusting, resizing and saving the file you must upload the image to an image host, then link it.

P.s.: I think you posted your question on the wrong section.

WooHooMan

Auror
I usually just use photoshop. If you know what you're doing, I think it works pretty well.
That's assuming you have a scanner but even if you don't, I guess you could just draw from scratch with photoshop

Kn'Trac

Minstrel
Originally Posted by Kn'Trac

I am redrawing my hand drawn maps using Campaign Cartographer 3.
if you know how to use the program, this is an excellent idea. It has a bit of a learning curve, but once oyu get the hang of it, its a very useful program.

Yeah, the learning curve is pretty steep, as I don't have photoshop I guess I'll have to make do with CC3 and several of its extensions.

I've been drawing mine with a graphics tablet, which would be essentially the same as a hand-drawn map. Apart from the cost of the tablet (which I had already), the solution is cheap. I use two free programs - Inkscape and Paint.NET, rather than Photoshop. There's plenty of graphic tablet and map-making tutorials online, if you need help.

Erudite

Scribe
Photoshop. If you go have a look at my thread on my map, it's been scanned in and used (it's a rough illustration, but you get the point). The program can grab corners, shade with different levels of opaqueness, and much more. Very useful, although if you know how to use illustrating software, probably much more useful.