• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Has anyone here participated in one (or more) twitter pitch events?

Geo

Troubadour
There are several pitch events a year in twitter for authors looking for agents and/or publishers, some even dedicated only to Fantasy and Science Fiction, and I wonder if anyone here has any experience with them or has heard anything (good or bad) about them?

I have yet to participate, but plan to once my WIP is polished and ready to submit to an agent. I've read that some authors have found agents this way. How well the matches were, I don't know.

Reactions: Geo

LWFlouisa

Troubadour
As strange as it sounds, I was somewhat coerced into one a year ago, despite me telling them my manuscript wasn't finished. And yet they had the gall to tell me not to submit to them again when they found, surprise! It wasn't finished.

I mean, you just can't fix simple.:/

Does anyone else on MS have any experience with Twitter pitch parties or thoughts about them? The next PitMad is March 8, and I'm hoping to have my ms ready for it.

Reactions: Geo
I haven’t.

Replying here so I can follow this thread. Sounds interesting, but I’m having trouble picturing how that’d work.

They're all similar. You pitch your story in a few tweets, scattered throughout the event period, and make sure to use the event's hashtag, plus the hashtags that identify the genre for your story. Each event has its own hashtag, and each genre has its own hashtag. There are hashtags to identify target age range as well. If an agent "likes" your tweet, it means that agent is open to your submitting your work to her--but be sure to read the agent's submission rules first and follow them, and be sure to research the agent first to see if they might be one you want to work with. You can retweet other writer's pitches, but don't "like" them, since only agents are supposed to do that.That's pretty much it. You can read the full rules for PitMad here: #PitMad

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
I did one, got interest from several small publishers and a couple agents, even one agent I had targeted for a query at a major agency. The pubs were a wild assortment, and mostly, once I researched them I had no idea how they thought my story would fit their stated wants and needs. I was not totally ready for it at the time (I did not have a synopsis polished... oops!) and kind of did it as a study of reactions to various pitches. For that purpose it was fascinating.