• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Have AI Read Your Writing to You!

R. R. Hunter

Troubadour
This has helped me SO much! Having your writings read back to you can really help the flow and wording. It will also catch those easy-to-overlook mistakes like using the wrong word in a sentence. I proof read the word 'feet' like 5 times when it should have been 'feel' lol. Spell check will never catch those. Some sentences may sound great when reading them in your head, but after hearing them out loud it puts a new perspective on them. I've gone back and moved plenty of words around because of that.

There are plenty of Text-to-Speech (TTS) programs and websites out there and many of them have 'realistic' voices. The one I've really enjoyed using (for free) is Lovo AI.
You can sign up with a gmail account. Some features are blocked behind a paywall.

Last edited:

R. R. Hunter

Troubadour
There are a bunch of different voices on that site, but the 'Austin Hopkins' voice skin is my favorite so far

lorenaroys

This has helped me SO much! Having your writings read back to you can really help the flow and wording. It will also catch those easy-to-overlook mistakes like using the wrong word in a sentence. I proof read the word 'feet' like 5 times when it should have been 'feel' lol. Spell check will never catch those. Some sentences may sound great when reading them in your head, but after hearing them out loud it puts a new perspective on them. I've gone back and moved plenty of words around because of that.

There are plenty of Text-to-Speech (TTS) programs and websites out there and many of them have 'realistic' voices. The one I've really enjoyed using (for free) is Lovo AI.
You can sign up with a gmail account. Some features are blocked behind a paywall. And it's a good thing that nowadays technologies are so developed, because when it comes to writing, they can make the process better. I use different tools, such as Grammarly, when I need to check grammar or find synonyms, and also this tool to understand if my text is good enough. Sometimes I also use this tool https://studydriver.com/conclusion-generator/, which is the best conclusion generator I've ever tried, but I use it only for my uni papers because I'm also a student. And I wonder what will be created later; maybe books and papers will be written without out assistance at all.
Thanks for the recommendation. I'd never heard about such a tool before. I'm going to try it because sometimes I ask my friends to read some pieces for me just to "see" how it is, and if I need/want to make some changes

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
It should be useful. I read my releases into audiobook now and end up listening to them at least twice, so I catch a helluva lot. Not much gets by, but now and again, something does. An AI readback might be interesting now that the voices are getting better.

Amabaie

Acolyte
Interesting. Maybe finally a useful AI application for writing. It is so true that when you here your words, they sound very different than when you read them.

Amabaie

Acolyte
And no sooner did I post my comment above, than I came across a seemingly unrelated article at The magic of story time: Why is reading aloud to kids so important? . I say "seemingly", but I can't help think that we grow up from the earliest stages hearing stories, rather than reading them. That is the more natural, fundamental way to share and receive stories (or any information). Reading is a technology that makes it easier to spread more stories to more people more efficiently. But at our very base, storytelling is an oral, verbal, vocal activity.

And no sooner did I post my comment above, than I came across a seemingly unrelated article at The magic of story time: Why is reading aloud to kids so important? . I say "seemingly", but I can't help think that we grow up from the earliest stages hearing stories, rather than reading them. That is the more natural, fundamental way to share and receive stories (or any information). Reading is a technology that makes it easier to spread more stories to more people more efficiently. But at our very base, storytelling is an oral, verbal, vocal activity.
Reading to your children has been found to be related to higher academic achievement - more than doing other activities with them. For thousands of years humans have been telling each other orally, especially useful if you have no access to education or books

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Well, somewhere along the way, there will be a study that says so, and one that says the opposite. We will just pick our favorite.

I remember having cassette tapes as a kid, Treasure Island, The Famous Five etc and loved them, it was the height of technology at the time - it will probably get to the point where children will all use AI

pmmg

Myth Weaver
I had actually read your post wrong. I do think people reading to children will be more meaningful than AI. I do audible currently, and I do sometimes zone out and find I've not really been listening.

AI will have some advantages though, when it comes to teaching. Overtime it will be able to assess what was most effective for most people, and present it consistently. It may also have sub-branches for effective ways with the most effective way is not working, and apply consistently. Or it may go mad trying to figure out how to get through to us ;)

rrvampyrr

You can sign up with a gmail account. Some features are blocked behind a paywall.
This is great!

R. R. Hunter

Troubadour
This is great!
I was thinking about looking into this.
So, the latest and greatest that I've found since then is 11Labs. Just mind-boggling good. They give you 10,000 characters (not words lol) per month, so it's not feasible for audio screening and testing large blocks of writing. It can technically be used to create audiobooks. You can probably get ~100,000 words read for about $150. There's a Steven Fry reading of the Hobbit's first few pages created by 11labs, and it's amazing. Though, if you have multiple characters (and of course you do), the AI won't differentiate them. So they will all sound the same. You could technically use a different AI voice, which might be cool. But... I dunno, I tried one of those audiobooks with all the music and sound fx and different narrators, and I just couldn't get into it.

R. R. Hunter

Troubadour
AI will have some advantages though, when it comes to teaching.
Heh. I did some work with VIPkid. Big company in China. Teach children English remotely. I believe I read that VIPkid or a similar company was saving all video from the 1-on-1 classes and having AI face scan to find the most effective teaching strategies. In the end, they would have AI teachers that learn from that database, very similar to the way MidJourney or Chat GPT learns from databases.