• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Writing Partner

BJ Swabb

Sage
Hello everyone!

So I am trying my best with editing and making my series as best as it can be for my audiance, but it seems I lack that writing technique that is needed. I am searching for someone to help me make my series better, without loosing my stories' overall outline and plot. Can anyone tell me how to find a writing partner who can assist me in rewriting my series into a good read for our audience as I am more of the man behind the scenes, the creator so to speak, then the actual man who documents everything.

Think about what you want / need, and know that there are a few different options:

A writing partner is someone who works with you on an equal footing. If you publish your novel, both your names would be on the cover, and you would both own the rights to the work, together. Note that this is a big commitment, and that you most likely will want some kind of written contract. After all, you might like each other now. But what if you happen to sell the movie rights, make a load of money, only to find out your partner ran off with the money?

A mentor is someone who helps you become a better writer, in pretty much all aspects of both writing and selling your work. It's hard to find a good mentor (because it's a huge time commitment on the mentor's part), and even harder to find an affordable one.

An editor is someone who professionally assesses your work. There are different types of editors. When looking for an editor, be specific on what type you want. You can find anything from simply looking at grammar and spelling to story structure and a simple evaluation of your manuscript. In general, editors don't come cheap, though it depends on what exactly you want. Do your homework.

A beta-reader is someone who reads your finished story, and provides feedback. Usually these are just regular people giving their opinion. Beta readers can be either free or paid. There are online groups of beta readers where you can post your work. Look on reddit, facebook etc. Or make friends with authors, and ask them to help out. Make sure the beta-reader knows and likes your (sub)genre.

In general, a problem with writing partners to keep in mind is that writing takes a lot of time. I don't have time to both write my own stories and help someone else to improve theirs. And I have too many stories of my own to write as it is, so I don't need someone elses stories. Ideas are cheap and plentiful.

Two closing thoughts
- just writing, finishing what you wrote, and rereading it (after a while) with a critical eye will help you impove. You'll never learn as much about writing as with the first novel you write.
- It's easier to get detailed feedback on smaller pieces of your work than on a complete thing. If you post a chapter here (or on dedicated review sites), then a few people will provide valuable feedback, which you can then apply to your complete story to improve it. Doing this for a complete novel is a very different beast, and few people will have time for that or want to do that.

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
A "writing coach" or simply studying the craft might be the way to go. Or the opposite direction, hire a ghost writer. From the sound of what you want, you'd be spending a ton of money on developmental editing and other stuff. My advice, if you want to write, learn to write.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Everything prince of spires said. Specially the part about i am writing my own stuff. I dont need someone elses.

If you really want to pass it off. Go to reedsy and look for ghost writers.

BJ Swabb

Sage
I have gone through writing partners before. I know what I am looking for. I know what there is for help and such, and I think a writing coach would probably be the best way to go after all. I have thought about the many issues with a writing partner with legal and time and money issues as I have been through it before. Other then the contract, money and time thing I really enjoyed having a partner to run ideas, and to actually create a novel and place it on the shelves But it is also a real headache in a way. You have opened my eyes more about the situation, and I must give it more thought. Thanks much.

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
A combination of a writing coach and then a good developmental editor (for idea bouncing) might do the trick... but as with all things, good is the question, heh heh.

There's one more option, which might actually be what you're looking for, and that is a writing group.

A writing group is basically an informal group of writers, who meet on a regular basis, and offer feedback and critiques on each others works. It's informal, free, and it can be golden if you find the right group of writers. You can bounce ideas off them, they'll help you move forward, they give feedback.

It just takes time, since you have to do that to other people as well.

Foxkeyes

Minstrel
There's one more option, which might actually be what you're looking for, and that is a writing group.

A writing group is basically an informal group of writers, who meet on a regular basis, and offer feedback and critiques on each others works. It's informal, free, and it can be golden if you find the right group of writers. You can bounce ideas off them, they'll help you move forward, they give feedback.

It just takes time, since you have to do that to other people as well.
A good writing group is a great suggestion. But try to find a reputable one. I've heard stories about writing groups run by mini-dictators.

Post some work here and I'll give it a look. Another place to get lots of feedback is critters.org. (This is generally for those starting out, but it's a great place to bounce ideas around.)

If you get a writing partner (which sounds like fun) the story is never going to be your own, which will dilute your creativity and hinder the development of your own unique writing voice.

Your writing 'voice' defines you as a unique creator. But as the others have said, it takes a long time to develop it.

I did a 'learn to write a novel' course with a professional writing coach a while back. This worked wonders for my work. It is expensive though.