• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Have you ever doubted your plot?

Helen

Inkling
So here I am again, with another problem/question

...Please bear with me xD

Okay. So I've been working on this story for a few months now and I've written four chapters so far. I'm quite pleased with my main character, but I've started worrying about my plot (and a little bit about the setting because of the plot)

I'm worried that the reader won't care about the problem the main character has to face

Have you ever had this problem? If so, please mention how and how you dealt with the problem!

I think this is pretty much were outlining, beat sheets et al come in handy; easier to rework it all.

Chyntiania

Dreamer
Thanks for all the helpful replies and fun reads

I'm glad to hear that you think that the current plot is workable. I realize now just how complex this story has become. I'm young and inexperienced, and I fear that I might have made things too complicated (once again!)

To make a long story short:
In the first story I wrote I spent lots of time on world building and decided to have only one MC to discover all of it. My map had 11 different countries, 5-7 different races, several languages, different cultures, varied religions, a complicated magic system with several spells and restrictions...and I could go on and on about this. In the end it simply became too much, and that was the end of that story project!

I won't be surprised if I decide to write the 4 chapters all over again v__v

Bruce McKnight

Troubadour
I doubt my plots all the time. All... the... time... Like write now when I'm typing this.

Then I look back at stories I've enjoyed and realize that plot (though I really enjoy good plot) is less important than the writing. I find myself more drawn to writers that unveil their plot well (foreshadowing, mood, language command, sequencing etc).

I would say keep writing and think deeper about your characters and what they would actually do. Instead of having them do things to get to the plot you want, just understand them better and tell the story of how they would act. Then you can just start throwing obstacles in their way and see how they react - that's when it gets really fun.

Is there a member of court that doesn't want the MC in the picture? Does the prince have a jealous brother? Is he suspicious of your MC? Did one of those 10 other countries send an assassin after the sister? What if the crop yield was wiped out by a flood? What if the king fell ill - would his brother try to eliminate him and the prince? What if sister fell ill - would anyone suspect the prince of foul play?

Get to know your characters, throw more and more obstacles at them, let them behave consistently.

And if you don't like it you can go back and re-write :)

I've always had doubts about my plot, but that's because it's still in the early draft stages. But I know once I finish the second draft I'll have it closer to the plot I'm looking for.