• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Hazards of the Writerly Pursuit

Butterfly

Auror
I’m sure this list can be added to. So, please share your experiences of injury / hazards discovered in your fantastic endeavours. Can be serious issues, or just for fun, I don't mind.

1. Back pain caused by bad posture while sitting hunched over a keyboard at a desk / a laptop on your lap. Sit properly.

2. Carpel Tunnel syndrome – Compression of the nerves in the wrists caused by lengthy typing/mouse use. Use a wrist rest at the keyboard.

3. Paper cuts – get yourself a rubber thimble to rifle through those notes.

4. Damaging your dining table with paper inadvertently stuck to it with pritt stick, or scratching caused by passionate note-taking, world building, cardboard castle modelling, etc. Use a protective pad, table cloths are no good use – they keep sliding about.

5. Blindness – caused by working outside in the sun while using bright white paper. Sunglasses, perhaps.

6. Toasted Skin Syndrome – (I’m being serious here). It is caused by the heat under a laptop when working off your lap = prolonged heat exposure which literally toasts the skin, may not cause blistering. Can cause a permanent darkening of the skin in the affected area in more serious cases. Always use a heat protector, or a table.

7. Electrocution – Mild risk of mild shock, especially when in winter and working from a laptop while sitting on a bed with an electric blanket plugged in, on or off at the socket, it doesn’t matter. Apparently, the blanket plugged into one socket, the laptop plugged into another creates a circuit with the writer in the middle casues spasms, itching, and the occasional burn. Make sure that blanket is unplugged, or you’ll end up with a bright red mark across your midriff.

Ireth

Myth Weaver
Hunger and thirst - caused by getting so absorbed in your writing that you forget to stop and eat or drink every so often. I've skipped many meals when sufficiently inspired.

Butterfly

Auror
Go on for too long and that could result in... .... ...... DEATH!

Be careful there... we don't want to lose you!

Every great writer is an alcoholic, so add kidney failure, brain damage, failed marriages, and failed careers to the list.

Rikilamaro

Inkling
Lung cancer - lots of writers smoke while working. This can lead to chain smoking when you get caught up in a scene and forget that you're on your tenth cigarette. Buy Nicorette and quit. Apparently it's bad for you.

Rikilamaro

Inkling
And while I'm at it - lost friendships.

A friend asks to read your work. They either then forget you gave it to them, which makes you feel about an inch tall, or they come back with a review that makes you want to tear the entire manuscript apart and light it on fire. There may also be defensiveness included with your attempt to reason with your friend/reviewer that leads to resentment and hurt feelings.

So, choose who you allow to read your work in its beginning stages with care.

SlimShady

Troubadour
Well most writers have some sort of depression going on. So suicide could be added to the list.

Insomnia is also a hazard to writers I believe.

A lot of writers are known to experience with alcohol and other drugs. (Just mess with marijuana and you should be fine. Inspired maybe.) But, other drugs can lead to a serious addiction. Even caffeine can get you hooked and it is no good when you get hooked to a certain substance. For the love of god stay away from cocaine, LSD, and just about everything else as they can severely change you after use. Safest drug to do would be marijuana. (Not condoning it or anything, however I am just stating the truth.)

Also, I believe someone already mentioned the dangers of nicotine. Seriously, that is a terrible thing to get off of and you will always crave it. Chewing tobacco is just as bad, if not worse. I don't want to seem preachy or anything, but if you have to smoke anything stick to herbs. Other herbs can be smoked and are not nearly as addictive.

Rikilamaro

Inkling
Slim - Tobacco's not an herb? Huh. Who knew. :)

I get what you're saying, cause I brought up the smoking in the first place. I was simply trying to make a funny.

Rikilamaro

Inkling
Never strayed into the realms of illegal herbs.

Which brings up another hazard - add all those addictions together and pretty soon you're going to end up in legal trouble. DUIs, possession, etc.

At the risk of sounding cliche', "Just Say NO!"

SlimShady

Troubadour
Never strayed into the realms of illegal herbs.

Which brings up another hazard - add all those addictions together and pretty soon you're going to end up in legal trouble. DUIs, possession, etc.

At the risk of sounding cliche', "Just Say NO!"

In the US medical marijuana is already legal in like 17 states. If you smoke it, you should be fine. I see it being legalized in my lifetime. You can't really go to jail for weed unless you've got more than an oz I believe.

But, this is derailing the entire thread.

Another hazard for writers is daydreaming. I've been driving before and had daydreams, which is not good at all.

Rikilamaro

Inkling
Another hazard for writers is daydreaming. I've been driving before and had daydreams, which is not good at all.

I once drove through the city of Columbus, OH while asleep. I remember seeing the sign that said five miles to Columbus, but don't recall anything else until I was twenty miles out of the city. I did; however, remember my dream about fairies. Scary.

Hi,

How about just accidents? You wander around thinking about what you've written and forget to pay attention to your surroundings - bang!

(Also I'm pretty sure that my fingers are getting shorter from all the typing!)

Cheers, Greg.

Rikilamaro

Inkling
Hi,

How about just accidents? You wander around thinking about what you've written and forget to pay attention to your surroundings - bang!

(Also I'm pretty sure that my fingers are getting shorter from all the typing!)

Cheers, Greg.

Hey Greg, good point. Writers are clumsy at times. Distracted and all that. :)

My fingers aren't getting shorter, but the more I type the faster my fingernails grow. So the need for increased manicures or danger of scratching yourself or others could be added to the list.

Hi,

And frustration! I finally pubbed a book a few days ago that's been written and rewritten for two solid years because I couldn't decide on the ending. It drove me nuts!

Cheers, Greg.