• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Help me develop this mythology

rktho

Troubadour
I've been developing a vagueish mythology for my 'verse and now I figure I should probably flesh it out. My idea is that each race of dragons has an incomplete version of the mythology, but at one time it was well-known. Basically, there's a dimension where this magical metal is found, and the inhabitants of this realm use this metal to create highly advanced magical technology. My book takes place in the mundane dimension. The inhabitants of the magical dimension cannot use magic themselves, and are reliant on their magical technology, but the dragons of the mundane realm are inherently magical and are able to cast spells without aid of implements-- though those do boost their powers.

Erkto (me) created the beginning, and in the beginning Erkto created twelve dragons-- the First Parents of the dragon species. Basically, these dragons were immortal, and there was one of each gender, a patriarch and his consort. Erkto created a great dragon to rule over them named Domonro. Erkto also created a great dragon of evil called Gaust, who lived beneath the floating isles in the shadows and mist. The First Parents had many mortal children. At various points in time, they all sired at least one immortal heir. Erkto taught Domonro to work metal. Domonro created five swords of power and gifted them to five of the First Fathers. The Idrakagar, who were quadrupeds, could not use the swords effectively, so Domonro taught them the art of metalworking, and they became the dragons' smiths.

From there, I don't have a clear idea of where I want to go, only how I want things to end up. I want the Khrizan patriarch's son to play a central role, sort of a "chosen one" deal. I want Gaust to influence and corrupt him. I want Gaust to take over the realm with the swords' power and for this chosen one to kill Domonro. Then a new chosen one will rise against Gaust's rule. The old chosen one will betray Gaust and kill him, and the new chosen one will defeat the old chosen one. Then Erkto will tell the new chosen one that the Swords of Power must be taken to the mortal realm, and a spell is put upon them that binds them to that plane. Twelve dragons, composed of mortal and immortal, the new chosen one among them, are sent to that realm and become the Second Parents. They populate the mortal realm with their descendants, dividing their land among themselves. From there the history of my world actually begins.

Geo

Troubadour
As a suggestion you could play a lot with duality, giving each of the Patriarchs an equally powerful but opposite force, probably represented by one of their immortal progeny. So that at the end those who prevailed (meaning how you want things to end) represent an unbalance that needs counterbalance, giving you an easy way to develop the mythology independently of what actually happens.