• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Help on making a magic system.

Gonji

I recently started writing a low-fantasy short story (maybe a novel) and I can't figure out how to set up my magic system. I know my protagonist can incinerate people with a flick of his wrist but not HOW. I'm not going with wands or anything like that but I want to use rituals, psychic magic, blood magic, elemental magic etc. Any input would be helpful.

Last edited:

shangrila

Inkling
Are you looking for something unique or just a reason to have it there?

If the system is just there as an explanation for why its happening, elemental magic probably fits your example the best. Though personally I like blood magic, although I'm using it myself so I'm biased.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
I recently started writing a low-fantasy short story (maybe a novel) and I can't figure out how to set up my magic system. I know my protagonist can incinerate people with a flick of his wrist but not HOW. I'm not going with wands or anything like that but I want to use rituals, psychic magic, blood magic, elemental magic etc. Any input would be helpful.

I had a character in D&D who threw small charcoally rocks at people, and when the rock hit something and shattered, so did the thing it hit.

Mindfire

Istar
When you're making a magic system, it's important to keep in mind where the magic comes from. Is it a natural force? A divine gift? Do they harness naturally occurring magical substances? Or do people get their powers by capturing elementals? I personally blend all of these explanations together. Just find a source for your magic, and that will generally determine how it is used.

gavintonks

Maester
well if it is fire it needs to be conjured from energy so how does the person tap into the energy then to make a person incinerate you will need about 2200 degrees C for just dust unless you can create combustion in the persons cells
plus you need to be able to ensure it is only that person and not half the planet and how do you stop it happening to you
the hardest part is bone as calcium is a bitch to burn
also handling that much energy yourself can cause damage, you could use one of the auras, as their is also a link, but walking around incinerating people when there are other people incinerating other people has to have a purpose

Gonji

Okay, as to the "where the magic comes from" I was thinking about magic coming from a multitude of sources. I've always liked a lot of different kinds of magic. I suppose one could just use their internal energy (sort of like Chi) to power spells. More powerful spells could come from rituals or deity pacts. I got a lot of inspiration from the Necronomicon Ex Mortis from the Evil Dead series, so reading from spell books to cast spells sounds pretty cool. As far as incinerating (people, things, deities, insubstantial objects) the thermite reaction burns up to 4500 degrees F and it still doesn't ignite the atmosphere so I could just apply those same physics to my spellfire. I talked to Peter V Brett yesterday and he told me to pick up a copy of the D&D book "Player's Option: Spells & Magic" so I'm gonna try to find a copy.