• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Help with a Marketing Survey

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
It would be helpful to have readers who aren't going to analyze it based on technical prowess or writer-type things. Basically, people who aren't going to critique it or suggest changes. Just things like "this is really good" or "this isn't really something I'd like, but I could see it finding an audience."

Last edited:

BWFoster78

Myth Weaver
That being said, it's easy to be over-judgmental of our own work. I find that most winters fall in one if two camps:
Either they are blown away by their own work, always thinking it's the next big thing and astounded by their brilliance. -OR- They have a negative view, always of the opinion they don't measure up, or the piece they labored over for years isn't up to snuff. In my opinion, the latter is more productive. Depressing huh?

I get exactly what you're saying.

As I've said a bunch of times, I know that this book is not the best book I will ever produce. With each draft, my skills improve. My editor is helping me improve my skills a bunch.

The book can never be perfect, so I have to resist the temptation to create perfection. On the other hand, since it's hard for me to judge the quality of my own work objectively, how do I know if it's good enough?

Question:
I know you use beta readers. Have you had readers finish the book without critique, just giving you opinions on story?

I think it's helpful to get opinions from writer/readers as well as reader/readers.

I've had a couple of people who really liked the book, but I'm not sure their standards were all that high.

This would be my concept for the Go/No Go Team. Not beta-reading, not reviews, but reading as readers and saying, "This book, overall, is..."

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
I was thinking about a different route: establishing a Go/No Go Team. Basically, get a few people I trust (hopefully, I can draw some from this forum) to read the book and tell me if it's good enough.

I've been thinking about this idea, and BW, I have to say . . . if I read your book, and thought it was garbage, at this point I would still tell you to publish.

You're at a point where, given the sheer amount of effort you sound like you're putting into it, you may need to change something in your mindset to get the next level.

That is, you may be trying too hard.

And I don't say that to dismiss your efforts by any means. Follow through on what you're doing if it's helping you to improve. But if what you're doing wraps up at a point where "it's still not good enough," then pardon my bluntness, but I think that's probably time for the to Hell with it! approach. Get the book out there, stop thinking of it as make-or-break, and start the next one with your cortisol levels down.

BWFoster78

Myth Weaver
Devor,

While I get your point, let me answer with a personal anecdote.

I think that indie authors, if you can find good ones, offer a value to the reading public. I'd much rather pay $2.99 for a book than $12.99. It's also nice to know that the guy who wrote the $2.99 book is probably getting more of the money from my purchase than the $12.99 guy.

When I discover an author I like, my inclination is to go buy something else from that author. Case in point, Cidney Swanson. Her stuff isn't fantastically awesome, but they're quick, fun reads and well worth the price. After finding the first one, I quickly bought and read 5 more from her.

Recently, I read a scifi adventure novel. It wasn't bad. There were some flaws, but, overall, I enjoyed it. I then discovered that the guy's first novel, the first part of an epic fantasy, was available for free download.

Long story short (probably too late for that), it kinda sucked.

Now, even though I know the guy got better, I'm reluctant to buy any more of his stuff.

Bottom line is that, while I don't think that my first book needs to be so good that it compels everyone who reads it to proclaim me the next big thing, I can't afford to put something out there that is going to actively turn people off.

Thanks.

Brian