• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Help with name for a holiday

Russ

Istar
My WIP is set in something a lot like early medieval Austria. It is more of a norse based religion and there is no Christianity.

I am using a holiday that is a great deal like Halloween or the Mexican day of the day. It is a day that the spirits of the dead are close to our world and people use that day to celebrate their date ancestors and ask for their help/protection in the next year.

I have been wracking my brain and can't come up with anything useful.

Any assistance gratefully appreciated.

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
Winternight or Winter Night is the Norse equivalent to Halloween [well sort of].
Riff off words/phrases for: what it mean to the people; which the gods involved; what happens at that time; until something sticks?

Last edited:

jm.milks

Scribe
I would personally say to base the name off of the culture surrounding. Like it's Austrian, so I would base the name off of German words like Nacht for night and Geist for spirit. If you wanna take that road, find someone more familiar with the language than me, I only took a year of

Sexy and I knowz it

Jerseydevil

Minstrel
Maybe you could have this the day of a particular deity, and on this day, the lord of the underworld opens the door and allows the spirits to enter out world and help out people. The day could be named after him, or possibly a reference to the opening between the worlds.
Some suggestions:
Open Door Day
Open Rift Day
(Insert God of death)'s Day
Souls day
Grandma, We Need Your Help Day

Just a few thoughts.

K.S. Crooks

Maester
A few ideas: Day of the Departed, Nether-night, Behold the Bifrost, Night of the Returned, Final Farewell, Kindred

Geo

Troubadour
Also, since it is a night when the death are closer to the living you could call the Night /Day of the Thinning Veil.