• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Help with portal fantasy YA

MAF4612

I'm writing my first fantasy YA which is a portal-based fantasy that takes the protagonist from our real world into the fantasy world. I'm wondering if anyone can help me decide on how much of the real world should I mention when the protagonist is in the fantasy world. More specifically will mentioning place names from the real world break the fantasy element? JK Rowling used places like Kings Cross and Surrey, does that sit well with readers?

Thank you

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
You need to put yourself in the head of the character. What will his/her reaction be to having to use an outhouse or chamber pot instead of a toilet? Likewise, having to light a candle or a lantern instead of flipping a light switch. Learning how to ride a horse instead of a bike. You can bet your character will make comparisons on all those things and more.

MAF4612

That's a very good point, I guess I was worried about shattering the fantasy, but the characters will need to occasionally compare places and relate experiences from their previous life. I suppose it comes down to subtle references rather than it taking over the whole narrative.

Thank you for the help.
You need to put yourself in the head of the character. What will his/her reaction be to having to use an outhouse or chamber pot instead of a toilet? Likewise, having to light a candle or a lantern instead of flipping a light switch. Learning how to ride a horse instead of a bike. You can bet your character will make comparisons on all those things and more.

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
The other thing to keep in mind is that the characters will retain a great deal of info from their prior lives. Most of it will likely be of little or no use - but it is a near certainty they will have some oddball skills or bits of knowledge that could greatly change not just their standing in the fantasy world but affect the larger society as well. Knowledge of disease transmission, improving health and life expectancy. Being able to build a crude bicycle (though that might take months to years). And so on.

MAF4612

The other thing to keep in mind is that the characters will retain a great deal of info from their prior lives. Most of it will likely be of little or no use - but it is a near certainty they will have some oddball skills or bits of knowledge that could greatly change not just their standing in the fantasy world but affect the larger society as well. Knowledge of disease transmission, improving health and life expectancy. Being able to build a crude bicycle (though that might take months to years). And so on.
Makes complete sense when someone else explains it to you. You navigate your way through life based on your experiences so it only makes sense to mention those picked up from before irrespective of where they were

pmmg

Myth Weaver
I dont see what it would be a problem so long as the MC would have knowledge of the real world. They should bring with them everything they already know, and would likely verbalize things in some scenarios. It wont break the illusion if its story sound that they would know it.