• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Hey can anyone help me with this crazy fantasy story I have in mind?

I can't seem to decide which protagonist to create. And here's why. I wanted to create a unique setting based on all the slasher/horror/monster/paranormal tropes, but make them into somewhat superhero esq type characters and skillful fighters. The main character hero for this story would be a guy who is similar to Jason, but completely different. He's built like a super hero, muscled up, has long hair and uses a magic gifted sword instead of a machete. And he wears a skull mask instead of a hockey mask. Of course there will be bad monster/killers as well. This would be set in the 29th century of the future.

The other idea I had in mind is a story that takes it back in time, to the feudal days of Japan, specifically the Sengoku era. In this, the hero protagonist would be a samurai/ronin werewolf, or better known as an inugami, which he can change into human form to wolf form, but he also has a fish form when in water. He would battle against other samurai soldiers while also dealing with other yokai monsters, basically like a demon slayer, as he is dealing with being hunted from both opposing sides, bad humans and bad monsters. So he has both enemies to deal with.

This other idea is about a protagonist hero who is a cambian/Nephalem, basically a human/demon/angel hybrid, who is dealing with all sorts of chaos also set in the future, where mankind has been disrupted with he unleash of the supernatural into the world, all kinds of monsters run havoc, yet the humans who control science and experiments, are also evil and corrupted. Another character who is a suffered victim on both sides, dealing with enemies who see him as not their kind. He would have wings that can shape shift into different animal species that have wings, like feathers of a bird, wings of a bat, and his body's skin can turn into armor.

Which story idea and main protagonist seems like the best one I should choose to work on?

Any thoughts? Thank you writers!

Last edited:

Lynea

Sage
Wow, that's alot to take in. I would say the first one. But there's nothing stopping you from doing all three of those ideas at some point. The first one just sounds the most niche - I personally would like to see something like that.

Interesting... what is it about the first one you like the most? And how could I improve on that main protagonist?

If I work on the first story idea, I'm thinking that he could be a mix of a demon/angel/human hybrid being, combining the 3rd idea with the 1st? Although demon angel human characters are usually portrayed as more slim, clean cut and sometimes more feminine. Could he still be that big buff muscle guy with the mask if he's a mix of demon/angel/human? Does it fit that character?

Last edited:

Lynea

Sage
I can see him being part demon but not part angel. Protagonists are usually paired up with a best friend, though, so maybe use the angel archetype for that?

I think the reason why I like the first idea is because it's not as common as the others. Meaning, I've been watching Demon Slayer and reading Crescent City series, which has me ready for something fresh and different.

Part demon is cool. Does it seem okay if he's bulky and muscular? Usually half-demons are depicted as thin, will it matter? And does it seem more fitting(no pun intended) if he was shirtless with jeans or shirtless with armored knight pants and armored shinguards?

An angel archetype friend for him could work. Like a half-angel?

Does it sound too similar to Demon Slayer?

They’re not bad ideas 😉

I was actually thinking of a way to respond to this one because there are so many ideas. The one that interests me the most however is the character who you’ve described as both a demon and angel at the same time. This would interest me as a concept, only because it poses an oxymoron. It’s along the lines of exploring how a character can be both ‘good’ and ‘bad’ at the same time.

Have you read / watched Good Omens? I haven’t… but from what I know of the concept, your idea made me think of it.

The only thing that would turn me off that particular idea is that he is potentially comprised of too many things. Otherwise I would be asking ‘so what?’ Not in a derogatory way, but with any character that is described as having lots of traits, why are they like that? Where did they come from? What is their purpose? And the answer that ends up being invariably boring to me is, ‘because they’re fighting evil’.

Lynea

Sage
I would just say, being three things at once seems a bit much. He would be way too OP to make the story around him interesting. So, I can get on board with a demon/angel hybrid, but not a human/demon/angel or some combo.

As for looks, make him how you'd like. It's honestly whatever you think works best.

So for example, is the angel-demon hybrid a result of an experiment gone wrong? Was he ‘made’ for a specific purpose by humans to fight evil? What is the specific tension between himself and the humans? What’s the arc?

If we the reader is dropped into chaos, is the arc how the main character reduces that chaos? How does he do that? Who is trying to stop him (if anyone)?

What are his feelings? Does he have feelings? Etc.

The one that interests me the most however is the character who you’ve described as both a demon and angel at the same time. This would interest me as a concept, only because it poses an oxymoron. It’s along the lines of exploring how a character can be both ‘good’ and ‘bad’ at the same time.
Thank you, I'm glad you like it. It is an interesting concept. I was thinking of describing him as a nephalem? Unless that's an issue? He would have a good balance between good and evil. Do you think I can combine this idea with the 1st idea about the horror/monster tropes?

Have you read / watched Good Omens? I haven’t… but from what I know of the concept, your idea made me think of it.
I haven't yet. Do they share similarities to my idea?

What are his feelings? Does he have feelings? Etc
Good question. He has a lot of conflicting issues that arise. He's dealing with opposing sides who see him as a threat, like pure demons, pure angels and humans, so this isn't easy for him.

Last edited:
Sorry, forgot to quote these parts.

The only thing that would turn me off that particular idea is that he is potentially comprised of too many things. Otherwise I would be asking ‘so what?’ Not in a derogatory way, but with any character that is described as having lots of traits, why are they like that? Where did they come from? What is their purpose? And the answer that ends up being invariably boring to me is, ‘because they’re fightin
Which idea, the demon/angel hybrid? Or the cowboy/ninja/Native with fish/werewolf abilities?

would just say, being three things at once seems a bit much. He would be way too OP to make the story around him interesting. So, I can get on board with a demon/angel hybrid, but not a human/demon/angel or some combo.
Yeah, I think demon/angel hybrid will work just fine.

So for example, is the angel-demon hybrid a result of an experiment gone wrong? Was he ‘made’ for a specific purpose by humans to fight evil? What is the specific tension between himself and the humans? What’s the arc?
I was going to say that a demon father and angel mother both fell in love, producing their hybrid son. But the result of an experiment gone wrong might be more interesting. Which one do you like more? The tensions would be bad as humans do not understand him. But that can change when there are humans that see that not all demons/monsters are evil. I haven't figured out his arc yet, I need to work on that. Not sure what to do?

If we the reader is dropped into chaos, is the arc how the main character reduces that chaos? How does he do that? Who is trying to stop him (if anyone)?
Yes. His powers and abilites gives him the edge on how to handle this chaos, which he can withstand compared to a normal human or a pure demon, pure angel, although he has certain weaknesses compared to a pure breed that they don't have. Should I make his mother an angel-witch instead?

I would question if he would be one of kind or are there others like him, and why does he feel compelled to deal with the chaos, what’s in it for him? Coin? Freedom? Basic survival? Vigilante?

If he is a result of two different ‘species’ interbreeding, I would find it more interesting if there were others like him that were the full version of one his parents as a common race, because then this factor would make him the outcast in a community.

Or would it be like The Witcher where he has been ‘made’ to fight monsters?

Is he hated everywhere he goes? Or does he have a band of comrades or friends that he goes around fighting evil with? You’re not obliged to include female characters of course but would there be any besides his mother?

There are just some of the questions I would ask myself when coming up with ideas for a plot based on your idea…

There are those like him. Maybe not so much of a mixed breed as he is, but it would be common that there are others of a similar species as he is.

Yes, I had it planned that two of the very different species, one of a demonic race and angelic race gave birth to him, making him a half and half. I wanted other characters to be unique and for him to stand out. So there could be a full demon, a full angel, a half-demon, etc. I like him being the outcast in his community. Would it make better sense he was found, discovered and adopted as a baby by a human family, which raised him? Or he was found at a religious monastery and raised there? No one aware of his species yet if course. Or maybe they do and keep it secret?

Or would it be like The Witcher where he has been ‘made’ to fight monsters?
I was thinking that. Maybe if raised and adopted by a magic monster hunter church or monastery?

I had an idea for a demon breed character that was a created experiment gone wrong. Maybe I can incorporate that character idea into the story too?

Is he hated everywhere he goes? Or does he have a band of comrades or friends that he goes around fighting evil with? You’re not obliged to include female characters of course but would there be any besides his mother?
Oh he'd definitely make some good friends and make good enemies. There would be many female cast as well, like other demon breeds. Plus he has a long lost sister and she's important to the story.

Also would it matter if he was big and muscular or better thin and skinny?

I also wanted him to be of a biracial family. Caucasian demon father and black/Latina angel mother. It's okay if he has a mixed race like humans?

Actually, I was going to say his father was a demonic breed from America and his mother was more of a fae/angelic species and she would be Afro-British. And he's very tuned within nature.

Last edited:

pmmg

Myth Weaver
How come no one else is responding? My ideas must be really bad?

I've been too sick to answer, but really...have some confidence in yourself. You also asked this same question over two threads, so which to answer?

I like the idea of the Jason as a hero best. I think that is the most unique, more likely to find a niche. I said in the other thread that if you have too strong characters why not find a story that puts them both together. Like, a past story of the samurai, that does something to create the current Jason guy?

Of the three you presented, the half angel/half demon has me asking so many questions up front, that I fear it would be sunk before it left the harbor. I dont think that would be a story for me.

But characters do not a story make. You need a conflict and a tale to tell it in. So what is the conflict? What do you see as the thing that when solved, the story will be over? And stories often have several conflicts, fight the big baddie, get over earlier trauma, overcome wrong beliefs. At present, I dont see any story ideas.

For me, I vote for Jason.

I've been too sick to answer, but really...have some confidence in yourself. You also asked this same question over two threads, so which to answer
Sorry, hope you're doing okay. My confidence in this has gone low as far as you can go.

I like the idea of the Jason as a hero best. I think that is the most unique, more likely to find a niche. I said in the other thread that if you have too strong characters why not find a story that puts them both together. Like, a past story of the samurai, that does something to create the current Jason guy?
That's not a bad idea. Maybe I could connect the samurai to the Jason guy. I'm just not sure how to go about it. Like maybe the Jason guy is related to the demon guy and the samurai guy is one of their very long distant ancestors?

Of the three you presented, the half angel/half demon has me asking so many questions up front, that I fear it would be sunk before it left the harbor. I dont think that would be a story for me.
I get what you're saying. It's very commonly used?

So what is the conflict? What do you see as the thing that when solved, the story will be over? And stories often have several conflicts, fight the big baddie, get over earlier trauma, overcome wrong beliefs. At present, I dont see any story ideas.
I need time to think it through, sorry : -(

For me, I vote for Jason.
What can I do to improve on his character and make him more appealing?