• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Hey everybody

My name is Victor aka OutsidersEyes, I'm 32 years old and I write as a hobby. I've never done much in the way of worldbuilding outside of the story's immediate surroundings but I want to make an entire world to write and also paint. I'm not a geographer or cartographer so I'm using a simple Azgaar map as a base, not sure if that's strange. I'll be changing the names of everything but not necessarily moving anything around. I'll post the map wherever it's appropriate here. I'm hoping to get feedback on the map and worldbuilding process from people that know more than me about it, and make friends in general.

Howdy OE, welcome to scribes.

I found video's like this one helpful in making maps.

Thanks! I actually kind of liked the challenge of working with a premade map and also was skittish about making a bad, implausible map. So I hit refresh until I found an interesting one and saved it.

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
Hail and well-met OutsidersEyes
Good to have you here
As I life long map creator and World builder, I offer this one warning...
Do not let it take over your life! ;)
I have spent far too many hours get a coastline, just right or perfecting the routs of caravan trails, for them to never appear in the stories.

Hail and well-met OutsidersEyes
Good to have you here
As I life long map creator and World builder, I offer this one warning...
Do not let it take over your life! ;)
I have spent far too many hours get a coastline, just right or perfecting the routs of caravan trails, for them to never appear in the stories.
Hello! The mapmaking I hope to get done pretty easily with Azgaar and then adjustments. But I do want to plan cities, cultures, write stories and paint scenes. I'm sure on top of my job and family and life, it'll be an eater of free time :)

(I say this and then I know I'll end up spending time adjusting the map to fit my stories and spending time on that)

ManinMauve

Acolyte
I definitely agree with CupofJoe.
I’ve struggled with finding a map for one of my stories, and had difficulties with another story’s map. Until I let it go and allowed myself to have some fun with the setting rather than what ‘the map’ was supposed to look like. Then I ended up with amazing places that the characters travelled to, or through.

I definitely agree with CupofJoe.
I’ve struggled with finding a map for one of my stories, and had difficulties with another story’s map. Until I let it go and allowed myself to have some fun with the setting rather than what ‘the map’ was supposed to look like. Then I ended up with amazing places that the characters travelled to, or through.
If I had a story in mind I'd definitely agree. Usually when I write I don't bother with maps at all. This time I want to make a world and then try working within that world, as a challenge.

ManinMauve

Acolyte
If I had a story in mind I'd definitely agree. Usually when I write I don't bother with maps at all. This time I want to make a world and then try working within that world, as a challenge.
Hm, that would create an interesting challenge. Probably because I tend to build characters before worlds, but it does pose a few good questions in my mind as to how a world and story like that could be built.