• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Hi everybody!

Sue K.

Acolyte
I’m SueK and new to the site.

I’m not sure if I will ever actually write a paragraph- I’m truly reveling in Reading the forum questions and answers! There is So Much to learn!!

My background (eons ago) was geology and science education but then veered off into the trees (forestry) and public service.

Just retired in August and am finally settling in / finishing winter preparations.

I’m not sure which rabbit hole I wandered into that landed me on this site.

But I am very grateful -the 1,000’s of questions with tens of 1,000’s of answers is very enlightening and inspirational.

Good day and Thank You everyone.

SueK

Ned Marcus

Maester
My background (eons ago) was geology and science education but then veered off into the trees (forestry) and public service.
If you do decide to write fantasy, then your background could help create rich setting for your stories. I read a couple of old geology books as research for my second novel, which although magical, is inspired by geology. And what fantasy doesn't have trees?

Welcome to the forum!

Sue K.

Acolyte
Thanks Ned,

I had an instructor that said:
“if you want to know what kind of animals might be in an area you need to know what plants are there.

To know what plants are possibly there you need to know what soils are there.

To know what soils are possibly there you need to know what rocks are there.

It all starts with the rocks. They are the foundation from which everything else rests.”

Of course he was a geology instructor!
But the thought really resonated with me.

Sue K

Sue K.

Acolyte
Thanks CupofJoe

The site is amazing!
so many /so diverse of topics
Fantastic details

I, am indeed enjoying exploring the site.

Sue K