• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Hi everyone

JonSnow

Troubadour
Hello,

I'm brand new to the site, and wanted to say hi to everyone. My name is Ryan. I'm 34 years old, soon to be married with two children, and live in the Salt Lake City, UT area. I've been attempting to write fantasy since I was 18. I've been working, on and off, with the same story since then. It hasn't gotten very far, as I have scrapped it and started over many times. Each time, hopefully, it gets a little better. This most recent restart, I am looking for a community where I can get some good (non-family) feedback.

My favorite fantasy authors are George R.R. Martin (long before the HBO series), Terry Brooks, Robert Jordan, and Tolkien. I also love futuristic sci-fi, but haven't ventured into that realm for writing yet. Brooks was my original writing inspiration when I was younger, but I noticed my writing get slightly darker and more brutal as I read Martin over the span of a couple years.

I hope to post some small bits of work to start with, very soon. I look forward to interacting with you guys. Cheers.

Ryan

JonSnow

Troubadour
Overall, it is about as good as a TV rendition of a fantasy book series can be (IMO). I would say it is a better book-to-screen conversion than even Lord of the Rings, which was fantastic in its own right. They stick pretty close to the real plot, and none of the brutality, cruelty, or rawness is lost. Obviously, they have to change and condense some of the plot, and a few peripheral characters were left out. But that is to be expected when it has to be compressed for TV.

I think the character development and writing is amazing. They really hit to the core with every character. The only person without any redeeming quality is Joffrey... which is just as the books portrayed him. Even Cersei and Stannis have moments where you don't completely hate them. And the good characters will do things that leave you scratching your head. Everyone is flawed, yet nobody is completely evil. The characters are unbelievably well-rounded and believable. I think that one of Martin's greatest skills as a storyteller...

And they have used many of the memorable quotes from the books, which gives the viewer (if they have read the books) a chill up the spine. So yes, I think it is great.

Black Dragon

Staff
Administrator
Cool. I haven't read any of the books as of yet, but I do have the first season of Game of Thrones on blu-ray. My wife and I love it.

I've been hesitant to read the books because I want to enjoy the series in its own right, first, without constantly comparing it to the novels.

Sheilawisz

Queen of Titania
Hello Ryan, and Welcome to Mythic Scribes!! You have come to a place full of warm, helpful people and I wish that you will soon make many new friends and feel like home here. When you want to share parts of your work to receive feedback, please visit the Showcase =)

JonSnow

Troubadour
Black Dragon, now that season 2 is over, I would suggest you read the first three books at least, before season 3 comes out next year (Game of Thrones, Clash of Kings, Storm of Swords). So far, they have done 1 season per book. I am hoping they break Storm of Swords up into 2 seasons, because it is a huge book (about 1100 pages), and a lot of stuff happens...

You were probably confused at times over who was who, because Martin uses TONS of main and peripheral characters. The books will clarify a lot of the characters for you, and enrich your understanding and appreciation of the HBO series. You won't find yourself wondering "why did they change that?" very often. You will be amazed at how well they were able to adapt those books to the screen.

Hi there, Jon Snow.. Are you patrolling the Wall as instructed?

I love George R.R Martin as well. He is a great writer and the Game of Thrones is epic.. Who is your favorite character? Mine is actually the Imp, Tyrion Lannister.. I think he has a sad life.. A bad life in fact. Despised by all, including his own father, but his cleverness, or should i say evil cunningness always makes me want to know what he's going to do..

Great to have you with us, and I hope you will enjoy yourself!

JonSnow

Troubadour
Jon Snow is my favorite character (big surprise). I think he is the one character, more than any other, who symbolizes the bitterness, injustice, and cruelty of the world Martin created. But I also like Tyrion... his cleverness and odd sense of honor (yes, it does exist) make him a really well-rounded character. He is tragic, cruel, and empathetic all at the same time.

I also like Arya.... and of course, Ned Stark was my favorite character in book 1. I actually almost stopped reading the series after what happened to him...it took me years before I moved on to Clash of Kings. But George R.R. Martin sort of de-sensitizes his readers to losing their favorite characters in ugly, sickening ways. Ned's fate in Game of Thrones was nothing compared to what happens at the end of Storm of Swords. I will not spoil it for those who intend on reading it :)

Last edited:

Rikilamaro

Inkling
I'm skipping the Game of Thrones conversation, because I've neither read nor watched the story. I fail.

But, Jon, welcome to the site! We're glad to have you.