• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Hiya! Roe here, reporting for duty!

Hello all!

Name's Roe. Or Robie. Or RobieWan. Or... you get the drift. :giggle:

I'm a happy-go-lucky human with a love for all things furry or fuzzy, people with my particular brand of crazy, and writing. Or crocheting. Or... anything crafty, really. I also love reading, but lately that's taken a backseat to my writing.

I'm in the process of writing 4 or 5 books, and I get ideas for more all the time. Usually, I just write down what I've got, and any time I get another idea, I make a new Word document in Google files and throw it in there. That way, I don't lose the idea, but I also don't interrupt my current train(s) of thought(s). I like to write outlines first and really flesh out my story and characters. They're very detailed outlines, so there's not too much left to write once I'm done, but it helps keep me on track. I'll also write out scene ideas in a separate document, just to keep them different. If I have more than one idea for any particular scene (first character meeting first supporting character, first character meeting nemesis, etc...), I'll just number them but keep them under the same heading.

I currently have the opening scene to a book I'm working on but am nowhere NEAR finished with yet, and I was just hoping I could find some folks who were willing to read it for me and let me know 3 things. 1) Any spelling, grammatical, or punctuation errors that I and/or SpellCheck may have missed, 2) What you DO like about the intro, and 3) What you DON'T like about the intro. I'm not quite sure where I can post that request and/or the intro, but any help would be fantastic on where I should go.

Thank you muchly in advance!
(I know that was incorrect grammar. I did it on purpose. I'm silly like that. :geek:)

Roe

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Howdy RoebieWanKenobie, you're our only hope...

...Or something like that.

I am a mostly serious, intermittently funny, forum lizard, and sometimes do reviews.

You will need five posts to have the site open up to you, otherwise you may not be able to post stuff. There is a place for posting story snippets, if I see it there, I will likely try to answer those questions.

<<<However>>> Goldie's first law of writing is never seek feedback before its finished.

Anyway, Welcome to the site.

Howdy RoebieWanKenobie, you're our only hope...

...Or something like that.

I am a mostly serious, intermittently funny, forum lizard, and sometimes do reviews.

You will need five posts to have the site open up to you, otherwise you may not be able to post stuff. There is a place for posting story snippets, if I see it there, I will likely try to answer those questions.

<<<However>>> Goldie's first law of writing is never seek feedback before its finished.

Anyway, Welcome to the site.

Hiya, pmmg!
(Would it be rude of me to ask what pmmg stands for, or what it means?)

I appreciate the information! And the offer of help once I get my 5 posts under my belt. I will be sure to check out the Snippets section once I do.

What, exactly, does a "forum lizard" do? Because I imagine it just hang out and sun itself. :LOL: <-- I like laughing, as if that wasn't obvious.

Also... I'm a needy person. I like to have critique before I finish the book. It's sort of what keeps me wanting to write. Otherwise, I always feel like it's not good enough and I give up halfway through. So, unfortunately Goldie, I'm afraid I've been breaking your law my entire life. Or, rather, since I could hold a pen properly and write.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
I dont know what they do... Just pop up a lot of replies I guess...

And it wont hurt me if you ignore the rule ;) Its up to you how long you want to keep writing chapter 1.

pmmg = Patrick M M Green

I dont know what they do... Just pop up a lot of replies I guess...
I won't tell if you don't! Besides, this way, I can get to that magic number 5 faster! I'm anticipating wonderful things once the full forum opens up. Not sure what it looks like when you have stars in your eyes, as I'd imagine it would be quite painful to ACTUALLY have stars in your eyes, but if it means what I THINK it means... then that's what I'd look like right now. (Yes, I do know what it actually means. I'm funny. I think I'm funny.)

And it wont hurt me if you ignore the rule ;) Its up to you how long you want to keep writing chapter 1.

Well... I'll probably move on past chapter 1 even without getting the reviews. I get to a certain point and have a very strong urge to get feedback on what I have SO FAR. Usually around the completion of chapter 5 or 6. That's about the point that I stop being interested in my own story. So, I figure if I've lost interest in writing it, any readers I have will probably have lost interest in it, too. So, at that point, I require any kind of critiquing and/or praise for my work so far so that I work up some interest in it again.

pmmg = Patrick M M Green

Ah. I'm probably showing my ignorance here, but who is Patrick M M Green? I mean, is that you? Or your pen name, rather? Or is it a famous someone that I should know about and should feel deeply embarrassed for NOT knowing who that is?

pmmg

Myth Weaver
I thought the small text was funny.

Been here for a few years now, and almost no one has asked about the pmmg sign on. I used to have a story about it, that was mostly just for fun, but really it stands for Patrick M. M. Green. I've been using pmmg for a long time, mostly because pmg is usually taken when you sign up for things on the internet. Only now it is really pmmmcpg, as I added a McPherson in there upon finding some lost relatives. But that is way too cumbersome. It is not a pen name, it is my actual name. I do have pen name I am thinking of using but i have not used it here (yet). If I could, I would like to remain pmmg in the published world, but I think the four letters would not really seem all that cool to an unknowing public (though maybe the internet has made people primed for it). I think I will publish as P. Pherson Green. Which is a smattering of all the initials, but has a better sound and more flow than Patrick M M Green, which, IMO has too many hard sounds.

Because of the Gold Dragon Avi, which I have also used forever, I get called Dragon and Goldie a lot, but mostly on other sites. Here, no one cares ;)

pmmg

Myth Weaver
If I recall, five posts opens up a lot of locked threads for you. But there may still be a period of Mods having to approve new topics for newbies. Its been a while. There is a place to post stories, which is Critique Requests. It has a character limit, so if its long you may have to stretch it over several posts.

I thought the small text was funny.
*shrug* Eh. You win some, you lose some. I thought it was funny, but my meds are also starting to kick in, so... there is that. Also, I know that quoting and replying to certain parts of someone's post can be annoying for some people. I do it so I can remember what I'm replying to, and what I still need to reply to. If I don't, my train of thought gets utterly derailed and then I have to scroll back to the part I want to reply to so I can reread it. And that annoys me. So I do it this way instead. Apologies if you're someone that gets annoyed by it.

Been here for a few years now, and almost no one has asked about the pmmg sign on. I used to have a story about it, that was mostly just for fun, but really it stands for Patrick M. M. Green. I've been using pmmg for a long time, mostly because pmg is usually taken when you sign up for things on the internet. Only now it is really pmmmcpg, as I added a McPherson in there upon finding some lost relatives. But that is way too cumbersome. It is not a pen name, it is my actual name. I do have pen name I am thinking of using but i have not used it here (yet). If I could, I would like to remain pmmg in the published world, but I think the four letters would not really seem all that cool to an unknowing public (though maybe the internet has made people primed for it). I think I will publish as P. Pherson Green. Which is a smattering of all the initials, but has a better sound and more flow than Patrick M M Green, which, IMO has too many hard sounds.
Oh wow! That's actually really interesting. I agree that P. Pherson Green has a better sound to it and is less harsh sounding that Patrick M M Green, though there's nothing wrong with that, either. I have a pen name that I would probably publish under, if I ever publish anything. Roebie is just what my best friend and her kids call me, ever since Episode 1 came out and we went to see it in theaters together. She started calling me Roebie Wan Kenobie, still calls me Roebie, and her kiddos call me Auntie Roe. It's one of my favorite names, besides Mom or Mama.

Because of the Gold Dragon Avi, which I have also used forever, I get called Dragon and Goldie a lot, but mostly on other sites. Here, no one cares ;)
OH! I didn't realize that Goldie was YOU. I thought you were quoting someone famous, and I initially didn't want to ask and sound stupid. But then I asked about your name, and that would have also been really embarrassing... Well, either way, I've outed myself as a thoroughly ignorant so called "reader." I feel like people who read Shakespeare and Dante's Inferno and LOTR (I DID watch all the movies, though, not including the Hobbit series), and whatever else are WAY more intelligent and sophisticated than I am.

If I recall, five posts opens up a lot of locked threads for you. But there may still be a period of Mods having to approve new topics for newbies. Its been a while. There is a place to post stories, which is Critique Requests. It has a character limit, so if its long you may have to stretch it over several posts.
Yay! I'll go check it out. If it's not open, I'll just go to bed and check again in the morning. Thanks again for all the help!