• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Holiday Weekend Stuff

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
It's a huge holiday weekend here in the States and Canada just had Canada Day, so here's something a little off topic from writing, but in keeping with being outdoors with the angry daystar...

My potato salad is simple but never fails to rake in the compliments. As always, the secret is in the quality of the ingredients.

Measure ingredients according to company size
(I rarely measure anything when cooking — yeah, I know, I’m a BIG help)

Potatoes, boiled with the skins on, then chilled and cubed in bite-sized pieces. (I like using both Yukon Gold and Red potatoes for this — they make a nice mix of color and flavors — but good Russets will also work)
1 or 2 Sweet Onions (Vidalia is best, ’til the season, but Yellow will work) — dice raw into desirable size for nomming pleasure
Just enough quality Mayonnaise of your choice to coat everything, but not make your salad soupy — “Don’t drown your food.” (Extra points if you’re old enough to remember that from Saturday mornings.)
TO TASTE — Ground Salt, Ground Pepper, White Pepper, Celery Salt
Chill overnight (This is crucial — it lets the flavors mingle into nommy goodness!)

Lace

Troubadour
I'm making a dessert called "Sand" for the holiday weekend. I think it is comparable to Dirt Cake, if you've ever heard of that.

Toss a box of Nilla Wafers and a couple Oreos into the food processor or blender until it has a nice sand like consistency, and then set to the side. Next mix up two boxes of French Vanilla Pudding (you'll need about 1/4 C. of Milk), and whip them together with 8oz of Cream Cheese (softened to room temp), half a stick of Butter, 2/3 C. Powdered Sugar, and a big tub of Cool Whip.

Now for the fun part, use a plastic bucket and shovel (found in the toy section) to house your dish. Make small layers, alternating between the cookie mixture and the pudding mixture, in your bucket and ending with the cookie layer on top. It looks just like a bucket of sand that you can now scoop it out to serve with the little toy shovel that came with your bucket. I like to toss in a few gummy worms and the little ones at the get together can't get enough of it! :)

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
I'll likely head out to the homestead and launch model rockets off into the woods or lake or driveway. (fireworks are illegal, but model rockets are not.)

The storm looks like it is going to put a damper on most plans in the area. We had talked about going to DC again, but I'm not keen on sitting in the heat with my dog until dusk just to become sketter food again.
Now it looks like the trop storm is going to rain on lots of 4th parties, so I suggested we sit at home, watch on TV and I'll cook.
I'm making Peanut Butter Fudge, Deviled eggs, Soup, Steak (for hubby) Sautéed Asparagus with garlic, and pasta summer salad for myself. To finish everything off I found a place that makes wonderful Gelato fresh daily. So I'll be picking some up tomorrow. :)

Hope everyone enjoys their 4th.