• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

How can a barrier between realms induce time dilation amongst magical spells?

Erebus

Troubadour
The multiverse is divided into two distinct planes of reality. Physical realms occupy the mortal plane, where flesh and blood races inhabit worlds and worship their distinct gods. The spiritual realm occupies the ethereal plane, which is the home of deities and other divine spirits. These planes are divided by a metaphysical barrier that keeps respected inhabitants of both planes separate from each other for reasons of safety. The mortal plane orbits around the ethereal plane, similar to relationship between planets around the sun. At certain times, their orbits are in perfect alignment, which causes the barrier to weaken temporarily. This allows low powered spirits to cross over into the mortal plane for a period of time before dissipating back into their own world, and leads to stories of ghosts, poltergeists, etc. This event is known as an eclipse and occurs every few millennia. A god cannot exist in the mortal plane because their soul is too powerful for a mortal world to contain and would inevitably destroy it. Likewise, a mortal cannot exist among gods because their soul is too weak and would be instantly destroyed. However, their is a loophole that allows one to circumvent the barrier and allow gods to exist in the physical realm to live among mortals. This state is referred to as a hypostatic union, in which humanity and divinity exist in one hypostasis, or individual existence.

Hypostasis is described as a perfect union between God and man within one physical form. The being in question is neither one nor the other, but both simultaneously, existing as one soul with two natures. This allows the individual to exist in both planes of reality without adverse effects to itself or the realm around it This is different from a demi-god, which is essentially a super powered hybrid mortal soul with aspects of divine power sprinkled on top of it. Hypostasis occurs when a divine being incarnates itself into a mortal form on the physical plane during an eclipse. As this is purely hypothetical, the results of this method have been uncertain until recently. An entrepreneurial deity has chosen to incarnate itself on Earth through a mortal servant in a ploy to increase its followers and expand its power base. As with most plans, things did not go accordingly. What was ultimately produced was a single being with two souls. Each soul had a distinct nature, with the human soul suppressing the divine soul. As the being aged however, the divine spirit would become stronger, eventually subsuming the human soul within itself and completing the incarnation.

As par the example, it is possible to achieve a state of hypostasis between divinity and humanity. However, despite the temporary lowering of the barrier in place, there is a time delay between the onset of the spell and when it is completed, leading to the full process occurring at a much later date rather than immediately. As the eclipse occurs when both planes of reality are in perfect alignment, the result should be automatic. How can this be the case?

Queshire

Auror
It did take effect immediately but the twin souled being had to go through a few rounds of reincarnation as bugs, plants, some tragically short lived humans and the like before both souls manage to hit an equilibrium.

I'm not sure I understand the question. You give a detailed description of the mortal and spiritual realm, gods and mortals being fused, but you don't mention spells until you ask the question, and it's not clear how you're defining spell. For this purpose, what is a spell?

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Are you asking why it is delayed in one case but instant in another, when things are aligned right?

Maybe crossing over is like frogger. When the street is clear you can rush over, when its not, there are things to avoid and that means waiting.

Erebus

Troubadour
I'm not sure I understand the question. You give a detailed description of the mortal and spiritual realm, gods and mortals being fused, but you don't mention spells until you ask the question, and it's not clear how you're defining spell. For this purpose, what is a spell?
The incarnation is the mag.
The magical spell is the incarnation. Is that what you mean?

Queshire

Auror
I think Rosemary is asking what the nature of magic is in the setting. Different things can mess a spell up if it's based off of speaking the secret words of creation vs tugging at ley lines of elemental energy or such.

I think Rosemary is asking what the nature of magic is in the setting. Different things can mess a spell up if it's based off of speaking the secret words of creation vs tugging at ley lines of elemental energy or such.
No, I'm asking what Erebus means by "spell." That's not clear.

The incarnation is the mag.

The magical spell is the incarnation. Is that what you mean?
Is the spell the incarnation itself? Or is the spell the process that starts the incarnation?

The process can start when the worlds align but not complete until well after. It could even incubate for a while. In that case the incarnation wouldn't appear until well after the alignment has happened.

BearBear

Archmage
These planes are divided by a metaphysical barrier

This is the veil

for reasons of safety

*sanity

Likewise, a mortal cannot exist among gods because their soul is too weak and would be instantly destroyed.

It would be akin to a paper doll without a master, utterly without means to interact.

This state is referred to as a hypostatic union, in which humanity and divinity exist in one hypostasis, or individual existence.

"We are all but projections of god potential."

As the eclipse occurs when both planes of reality are in perfect alignment, the result should be automatic. How can this be the case?

I am not sure what you're asking but that never stops me from answering such a marvelous question.

It's automatic only because time isn't the same in the ethereal realm and in effect is merely a traversable ordinate of a much larger set of coordinates. All time exists simultaneously at any given point from our perspective because our perspective is a three dimensional projection of a higher dimensional existence.

Spiritual attachments are as simple and natural as your own spirit being attached to your currently possessed material body.

There would be any number of beings wanting to incarnate and they would simply do so in any of a innumerable instance set of material universes just as naturally as there are infinitely many points on a line, lines in a plane, planes in a cube, or cubes in a hypercube and so on.

Your excellently posed hypothesis is a truncated interpretation of such things from a material truncated perspective. Thus seemingly impossible paradoxes will occur. Many examples of this interpretation are dark energy, dark matter, the seeming acceleration of empty space, and a good physical example is ball lightning, etc.

Time Dilation is a very specific physics efect, where 2 things moving at different speeds (or in different gravity) will measure time differently. As in, if I move past you, then your clock will be running slow for me and vise-versa. It's a very unintuitive effect, which has been shown to occur. I don't think it applies here, unless your planes of existence are moving at speeds close to the speed of light past each other. Or at least, the efect wouldn't be big enough for it to matter.

However, despite the temporary lowering of the barrier in place, there is a time delay between the onset of the spell and when it is completed, leading to the full process occurring at a much later date rather than immediately. As the eclipse occurs when both planes of reality are in perfect alignment, the result should be automatic. How can this be the case?
Having said that, I'll focus on this part. I don't really see much of an issue really. Doing a deed and witnessing the full effects happen are 2 different things. Comparing it to being pregnant (which feels like an apt metaphor here...). It only takes an instant to become impregnated. However, it takes 9 months (give or take) to end up with a child. The same can be with a spell (whatever it is). The spell concludes when the planes are perfectly aligned, but then the effect has to grow and take shape in the different realities.