• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

How can I create a plot with my fantasy world idea?

I have a fantasy world in my mind since days. But I don’t have a plot for it! How do I create a plot for it? Maybe I should tell about my fantasy world idea before you give me tips. So… Let’s go.

Fauna

I got a beautiful mix of animals on this planet. I got mythical creatures like basilisks, dragons, unicorn, Phoenix, hippocampus and much more. I got normal animals like horses, zebras, dogs, birds (e.g. hawks), etc. And I got my own fantasy animals. I got giant lions with wings, which are tamed and perfect for riding, I got oversized rhinos, which are also tamed, and giant spiders á la acromantula and much more. I also got prehistoric animals like the mammoth.

Flora

The flora isn’t such planned as the fauna yet. But I planned blue roses, normal roses, living vines so far.

Folks

Folk A

Folk A is a mix of futuristic city and medieval culture. They got sci-fi-like technology, but the nobles prefer to use horses instead of cars or subways.

Folk B

Folk B is African-like. It lives in stone huts, which are stable enough to survive heavy storms. This folk uses rhinos, zebras, and huge leopards instead of horses. The folk is masters in weaponry. They use swords, guns, bows and much more. They’re also able to use elemental magic. They live in a landscape, which is a mix of desert and savannah.

(The other folks aren’t finished yet. But I can say so much: Folk C lives in the jungle, and they have a Chinese like culture. And Folk D lives at the sea in huts and they’re pirate. Of course, I will make more than four. But they aren’t in my mind yet.)

Attention: This is what I have so far and I wanna create more. But I ask you how I can create a plot with some information. And yes! My idol was A song of ice and fire/Game of Thrones.

Plot consists of three things mainly: Plot, Character and setting and what connects them all together is Conflict. What are you going for? A romance? A war story? An epic journey to find something/someone.
No idea at all
So sit and brain storm how could plot and character conflict. plot vs setting setting vs character. Example: Girl (character) whats to be a warrior to save her mentally disabled brother from getting called up to the front to fight as every man has to go from each family(plot), but as a girl she's not allowed (setting). See the conflict. Then you just keep looking for more conflict.

Not an amazing example as it's hard off the top of your head but something similar. Look for points of conflict and a story will develop.

Love your ideas so far by the way, seems very unique and not your usual elves, dwarfs and dragons, keep at it!

goldhawk

Troubadour
What is special about your setting? What makes it different from our world? Think of a plot that highlights the differences.

Gurkhal

Auror
One thing is to think of a scene or conflict that could erupt in you world and work from there. I know that I've written short stories from the idea of a single scene so that could perhaps work as a start to get the creative juices flowing.

Could always use a culture clash as some of the folk go to the other for some reason. Help, an alliance against or for something, trade deals, ancestral thing stolen and put into a museum that they'd really like back. That sort of thing.

Heliotrope

Staff
Article Team
Think of it this way....

You have a forest. A great big, beautiful forest. You can see it all from your view on a cliff. It is magnificent!

Now pick one, single, plant or animal. Say, a bunny. What is life like for that one animal? What does he want? What does he do everyday? What challenges does he face? The plot will come from the goal of that one, single creature.

The bunny wants to build a trap to stop a wolf from eating his friends. To do this, he needs to rally the help of the other forest creatures.

Next, think of what obstacles might get in the way of that goal.

Then you have a plot.

Or you're playing Bunnies & Burrows.

I was thinking,

TIM: I warned you, but did you listen to me? Oh, no, you knew it all, didn't you? Oh, it's just a harmless little bunny, isn't it? Well, it's always the same. I always tell them--

ARTHUR: Oh, shut up!

TIM: Do they listen to me?

ARTHUR: Right!

TIM: Oh, no...

KNIGHTS: Charge!

[squeak squeak squeak]

KNIGHTS: Aaaaugh!, Aaaugh!, etc.

ARTHUR: Run away! Run away!

KNIGHTS: Run away! Run away!...

TIM: Ha ha ha ha! Ha haw haw! Ha! Ha ha!

ARTHUR: Right. How many did we lose?

LANCELOT: Gawain.

GALAHAD: Ector.

ARTHUR: And Bors. That's five.

GALAHAD: Three, sir.

ARTHUR: Three. Three. And we'd better not risk another frontal assault. That rabbit's dynamite.

Miles Lacey

Archmage
Hmmm... how to use your world to create plot...

Protagonist is one of the Folk B people but she lives in a city, not in the stone hut villages that everyone assumes people like her live in. She has to face the ignorance and prejudices of Folk A people as she strives to become successful in the city. The story begins with the discovery of a dead Folk B person with a heavy stone tied to their neck: a symbolic action as the stone used is that used for the construction of a traditional stone village hut. The killing takes place in the same street (or building) where the protagonist lives and she is the one who finds the body.

Now see where that takes you.

Another thing with plot is to begin by answering the questions, who, what, where, how and why and then connect those points to a beginning a middle and an end. Begin with a conflict, build to a pivotal moment and then begin the road to resolution.

Last edited:

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
Ok...

Folk A - high tech combined with feudalism. Get right down to it, feudalism is basically 'rule by thugs.' Yes, you can dress it up, but at the core, that's what it is. Massive corruption, personal deals and loyalty instead of law, and bad times for their subjects except for favored subgroups. High tech, now is *not* easy to keep going. Requires exotic minerals. Requires trained technicians and a degree of education. Feudal leaders tend to view an educated populace as a threat to their power - so, at best you are looking at a sort of uneasy alliance at the top. Collectively, this bunch *will* need resources not available locally. Suggest the techs be concentrated in a guild of their own, with special privileges.

Folk B - you mentioned firearms and elemental magic, as well as a tendency towards animal power. Firearms require a bit of a manufacturing base, and like Folk A, access to likely scarce materials. Likewise, elemental magic likely takes a bit of training, and maybe access to unusual materials. If this society is also feudal, you may want to go the guild route with them as well.

Potentially, this can put Folk A and Folk B in conflict with each other for resources.

Can't say anything about Folk C, but Folk D - the pirates - are likely either pawns or mercenaries for either A or B or both.

Possibility: A critical mine or other major outpost of Group A 'goes dark' - its populace massacred by parties unknown, but with clues pointing to Group B. Group A sends a team to investigate, only to find multiple oddities that eventually point to a rival faction in Group A's government (remember, rule by thugs) with Group D being used as muscle. Have spies/red herrings from Group B running around to liven things up, and Group A's team in dire trouble with their bosses towards the end.